Chapter 40: Camping Mischief

Theo

I was finishing packing for the camp when my phone buzzed with a text from Cielo informing me he's outside waiting.

I checked everything I needed before joining him and Athena outside.

We were in for a 2-day camp set up by the school just after Spring Break.

"Third camp of the year, that rarely happens." Cielo said.

"Yeah, I guess the school's getting pretty generous because of the shit ton of homeworks they gave us throughout the year. I swear, I will implement less homeworks here when the school is on my family's hands." I said to which the two of them laughed.

"You're our savior." Athena joked from behind.

My smile quickly dropped as my mind raced. "Considering if winning the election will get that owner's trust. I haven't even met the man... and if the sabotaging subsides."

"We'll get to the bottom of that." Cielo reassured.

I smiled but it didn't quite feel right. "I hope so."

...

I hopped out of the car and stretched my arms up, basking in the warm morning sun. Masha ran up to us while the others normally walked.

"Theo!" She greeted warmly before hugging me.

"Hey. How're you holding up?" I asked.

She shrugged with a smile. "I just want to know who was the culprit of the sabotaging but I'm great!" She stated with a smile.

I nodded and greeted the others with Hunter still acting pretty weird. 

Mal beckoned for us to follow her. "The school provided our own tent because..." She leaned in, her voice dropping to a low whisper. "Because the owner actually recognizes us."

"Really? Will we see him?" I asked.

She shook her head with a shrug. "Not sure but it is nearing. The end of the election is nearing, you'll meet him in the last assembly." 

"Just know, Theo. If I can withdraw, I will. My mother is forcing me to at least attend the last assembly. They'd immediately know if I'm playing to lose, they'd disown me." Rhea said as she frowned.

I nodded. "I understand." 

"Just hurry up settling in. I wanna join that apple bobbing there!" Masha pointed at the fountain filled with apples.

After we put our bags in the tents, we joined different activities. Mal and I joined an activity called 'catch the murderer'. With ten players, there is one that's assigned as the murderer and the group figures out who. Every round, we eliminate one or two players and the only way that the murderer can win is if they're the last one standing.

I was given a small placard that read 'Murderer'. Of course it had to be me

I slipped the card into my pocket as the game started with the first set of clues. 

"In its lair they slurp their stew, the murderer possesses a crown or two." Sean read.

Mal made a face. "What does that even mean?" She said as she took a read of the clue herself.

How did they whip up a clue that's about me so fast?

Sean suddenly turned to look at Belle. "Don't you own two tiaras?" He asked.

Belle perked up and smiled. "Oh yeah!-- I mean... no?"

I stood up and pointed at her. "Seize her!" I commanded to which the 'guards' took her away.