Chapter 42: The Calm Before the Storm

Theo

Classes resumed and with that, the finals neared. Mal and I did everything to keep me to the top and it all worked, I was in the first place for three weeks straight until it was all just a week from the final assembly, the assembly where I'll meet the owner.

"Yes, mhmm. I want it all over. Yeah, thanks, yes! Yeah I can arrange that, no? Okay. Yeah, bye." Mal breathed a sigh of relief when the call ended. 

"What was that? Were you playing twenty questions with the guy?"

She rolled her eyes with such sass I didn't know she had. "He wanted so much in return. I only ordered for them to put up posters." She said.

As we resumed eating, one thought topped the others.

I faced Mal as she shoved half of her sandwich into her mouth. "Mal, I don't understand. You're much fit for this job than I am. Why'd it have to be me?" I asked.

It took awhile for her to finish chewing before answering. "First off, don't ask questions when I just took a bite. Second, I've done enough snooping around, Renza basically recognizes me even before all of this, but she doesn't recognize you."

"She didn't even bother to gather intel about our family? That's the worst move ever."

"Well, I guess she used her daughter..." Mal gestured at Athena sitting alone.

My brows furrowed slightly. "I've met her mother before, she doesn't look like a Renza to me."

Mal shrugged. "I don't know, I just jumped into conclusions. We don't even know if she's really a Sterling."

I stared at Athena's table, contemplating if I should just talk to her or not. Eventually, I made up my mind and stood up.

"Where are you going?" Cielo looked up from his phone to me.

"I'll be right back." I said before approaching Athena's table. I sat down across from her and when she looked up, her face was surprised to see me.

Her surprised expression quickly turned to a sad one. "Theo, if you're here to judge me, I've had enough of it."

"Athena, I know you didn't do it." Was the first words I said to her in a long time.

She gave me a small, genuine smile. "Always the perceptive one. Thank you, Theo."

I gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "Of course, but I do have a task for you. One that will not only clear your name but also unveil who's the true snake."

"Just tell me what to do."

I leaned in closer, my voice dropping into a low whisper. "Sneak into the school tonight, find out who owns this fan." I handed her the red fan before glaring menacingly. "And I'll let them feel my wrath." 

She smiled brightly. "I will, thank you for trusting me, Theo. I won't fail you."

I gave her a nod before returning to our table. 

"What were you doing there?" Cielo asked as I sat down. 

I leaned in to whisper at his ear. "You'd really believe Athena did it?" 

He was about to retort when he really thought about my question which made him frown. "No..."

"Exactly." I said before proceeding to eat my lunch.

"You know what, since it's only three days before the assembly. We need to at least... get together before all of the shenanigans." Hunter said with a smile.