Epilogue

Epilogue

Dressed in a crisp suit, Mal and I entered through the doors of the office where five of the Council members sat with an unfamiliar man.

I kept my face unreadable as I sat down on the chair, the sound of it the only thing breaking the silence.

"Welcome, you two." Mr. Martinez bowed his head.

 I could feel the thick tension in the room. 

"We're here to discuss the election. We'd assume that Theo--"

"Mr. Martinez, forgive me for cutting you off but I withdrew from the competition." I said, my expression not changing in anyway. All of their faces however, were completely shocked, like I'd done some crime.

"Theo, what are you talking about? We never discussed this..." Mal said as she tugged at my sleeve.

I took a deep breath and squared my shoulders. 

"Mal here is the one that will be the president." I said as I gripped Mal's shoulder reassuringly.

"But, Theodore, you're the one that have been running. I hate to say it but Ms. Pharsa cannot step in."

I leaned on the table, crossing my arms as I gave each eye a short glance. "She's been the one who's taught me everything I've shown you. She built me and she's behind every one of my performance and she's equally witty and intelligence."

Mr. Martinez leaned back on his seat, rubbing his jaw until he gave me a smile. "Alright, you've convinced me. Ms. Pharsa, the spot is yours."

I was just about to say something when Mrs. Mendoza stood up. "But this should be put into a vote!"

I rolled my eyes, settling into my chair comfortably. "Mrs. Mendoza, as much as you would like that. We do have the upper hand here. Although I have noticed how much you've hated us and our family, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. I will inherit this school someday and the principal can decide this on his own." I said with a cool, collected and neutral smile.

Yvonne glared daggers at me. "You can't--"

"I can." I interrupted, his cold smile not dropping.

I stood up and exited the room while Mal remained to discuss the things.

I took off my jacket and laid it on my arm as the school bustled around me, getting greets here and there.

I immediately went to our usual oak tree. I sat down beside Hunter who was holding a guitar. I looked at him for a brief second before he gave me a hug, nuzzling his face into my neck.

I chuckled before playfully pulling on his hair.

"So, what happened in the meeting?" Cielo asked, his smile was so different, it was more genuine and content.

I sighed and closed my eyes. "Great. I'm finally done with that election. And I think it's safe to say that election is not for me." 

"Isn't it crazy how quick this year came but at the same time, it felt like it went for decades. I can't explain it." Masha said.

I hummed. "Yeah, I get what you mean." I opened my eyes to look at Cielo. "By the way, Cielo, I heard you're going out with--"

"Shut up!" He interrupted me, his cheeks turning pink as he hid his face in his backpack.

"I think we all know you're going out with Sean." Athena said as he patted Cielo's back. "I knew there was something." She mocked.

"Damn, ya'll are going at it with the relationship stuff." Mal said as she sat down beside me.

"Hey, how'd it go?" I asked her.

"Eh, it's whatever like bebebebebebebebebebebe." Her voice got quieter as it got less understandable.

"...Right..." I said before turning to my friends. "What are your plans for summer?" I asked.

Cielo raised his hands. "I'm going on a road trip with my family." 

"While I'm going to be sewing my mother's dress all summer. I need all the authentic materials for them." Masha said.

"Well, I'm gonna be going on a cruise with my family." Athena said.

I raised my eyebrows in amusement. 

"While I will be visiting my family in China." Hunter said as he leaned his head against my shoulder. "I will miss you so much, Theo." 

"I know. I will miss you too. Mal and I are gonna spend a family vacation in the Philippines." 

Hunter perked up, looking at me with wide eyes. "You do realize I could visit you there, right?"

"Well, this summer got a whole more exciting." I said before wrapping an arm around Hunter's shoulder.

As Masha, Athena, Cielo and Hunter chatted on about their lives, I faced Mal to see that she's leaning on the tree, her eyes closed.

"I can't believe this, Mal. We've come a long way." I said with a smile as I leaned in beside her.

"I know right... but the important thing is we learned so many things this year." 

I grinned. "And I still can't believe you dated my boyfriend."

She laughed and smacked my arm. "For the record, we never did anything romantic." She said as our laughter faded, replaced by the sound of students talking, the leaves rustling and the birds chirping.

But to be honest, I really did learn a shit ton this year.

I learned that It's never too late for anything. It taught me how to appreciate the simplest things, value a friendship for how it should be and where it will head, learn from the past and use it as our guide for our future whilst keeping our focus on the present. And most importantly, to value our family, by blood or not, they are our pillars and we may not be here if not for them.

Well, take it away, narrator. I'm done narrating my mess of a life.

I hope you enjoyed this story and learned from it. I hope it gave you an inspiration, a new will, hope and a new outlook on life.

From the bottom of my heart.

Euwan.

Finished: August 29, 2020 5:13 PM