Chapter 35: The Presentation

Theo

I plopped down on the bed comfortably, setting down the glass of milk I was holding and the plate of Oreo on the table just beside my bed. I sighed in contentment as my weight sunk down on the bed. I opened my laptop and the folder where my presentation is, planning to make some final adjustments on my work.

After thirty minutes of making the final touches on the presentation, something popped up on the screen. I clicked close, causing the whole screen to freeze, I waited patiently for a few seconds before it turned into minutes. I tried clicking the 'x' button again but even the cursor won't move. I sighed in frustration before leaning closer to actually read what popped up.

"Huh, 'All your files are encrypted'. What the heck does that even mean?" I muttered before turning off the laptop.

I munched on the last of my oreos before turning the thing back on again, sighing loudly again as I waited for it to restart. The moment the computer restarted, I immediately went to my folder to find nothing there.

"What the shit..." I muttered under my breath before actually searching the file name in the search bar. When nothing came up, my brows furrowed in confusion.

"That's definitely the name of the file. Just freaking turn up, I'm tired already." I said to myself before trying once again. 

When nothing came up, my brows furrowed again. "Nah, that's the name, this bitch is trippin'." I said to myself again.

I was slowly losing hope, trying to think of every possible way to recover my file and every passing second of it, tears were welling up in my eyes.

"No, no, no..." I said before slumping down on the bed, my tears falling from my eyes continuously. 

I took in the fact that the only way that I can regain back my family's school is this election and if I don't have something to present tomorrow for the Prom's Theme, how would I get picked? The Council will automatically choose Rhea and Shane for the final two. 

In just a matter of minutes, my life crumbled apart. My family will crumble apart, our future is just done for.

The night I was just supposed to revise and adjust my work... turned out to destroying my chances of winning the election. It's all gone...

"No..." I said before turning on my bed, getting a glimpse of the computer that had another pop up. 

I reached out with shaking hands to close it and when I successfully did, I wiped my cheeks before more poured out from my eyes.

Maybe I could beg Rhea to withdraw so that the presentation doesn't have to happen, right? It was already 12 in the morning and I don't have the time to whip up another presentation. 

I quickly sent a text to Mal before crying myself to sleep.

...

I had no will to even move today, I had no reason anyway to even go to school but I had to. I had to voluntarily withdraw from the competition so the disappointment I'll get from my friends and family will be quick.

As I slumped down on the chair far from where I usually sat, Mal suddenly sat next to me, looking concerned. Athena, Cielo, Masha and Rhea followed suit across me.

"Theo, what's with the text you sent last night? Did you, like, sent it accidentally?" She asked, both of her brows raised as she showed me her phone that showed a text.

'I'm sorry' 

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. I burst out in tears, hugging Mal tightly as I sobbed loudly.