Chapter 41: The Betrayal

Theo

Early in the morning, I sipped on some hot chocolate Mal made as the sound of nature and people conversing echoed through the large campsite. 

Cielo walked out of our tent, his hair disheveled. 

"G'Morning." I muttered against my cup as he stretched his arms and legs.

"So, you guys ready to join some activities? We should make the most of our time here." Mal said excitedly, her eyes wandering around.

I shook my head and sat down on one of the chairs. "Nah, you guys can go ahead. Someone might mess with our things again." 

She shrugged before eagerly walking away. I turned to look at Cielo to see him staring at a piece of rock just a few distances away. I pinched his cheeks which made him look at me in shock.

"What?" He muttered as he stifled another yawn but failed to do so.

"Why are you in a daze? Something bothering you?" I asked.

He shook his head silently, tucking his hands between his legs as he blinked a couple times.

I extended my mug towards him wordlessly which he took gratefully. After he took a sip, he gave it back to me.

"So, are you okay now?" I asked him.

He just shrugged nonchalantly. "Those clothes I lost doesn't mean anything now. Good thing Hunter's lending me some of his clothes."

I cast him a sympathetic look. "I'm so sorry this happened, Cielo." I said. I checked left and right for any listeners before leaning in, dropping my voice to a whisper. "Listen. I found out--"

The tent suddenly opened with Hunter, Athena, Masha and Rhea exiting it. I eyed them suspiciously as they passed by, greeting us warmly but all I could think of was keeping an eye on them.

"Something wrong?" Cielo asked me, a worried look on his face.

I shook my head. "No... nothing wrong."

...

I joined Mal and Masha by the food tent acting like I didn't just found out I was being betrayed. They were both ordering while my mind raced with a million thoughts a minute.

Who could betray me after everything? Why did they do it? Is it really in my group?

I don't know! I'm not good with confronting people, I make good points but I stutter a lot. I just hope that it isn't Athena and Cielo, we've been through a lot, I've been friends with them for so long and I wouldn't know what to do if one of them did it. And I am very sure that Mal did not do this, I know that girl her whole life and I think I'm a faker person than her anyway.

I didn't even notice that Mal and Masha have pulled me to a table.

"What are you thinking about, Theo?" Masha asked which snapped me out of my trance.

"Uh, nothing important." I said with a reassuring smile that seemed to persuade them into thinking so.

"The day's ending already. We have two hours to prepare. I suggest preparing early." Mal informed.

I nodded absentmindedly, my mind somewhere else.

As time passed by, I quickly became hungry. I grabbed myself some food when a loud whistle filled the air. 

"Damn, Willshire. You're serving us some cake, who's that for?" I heard Rod say before he laughed with his friends.

I shyly pulled the hem of my knee-length short lower, avoiding eye contact with anyone.