Chapter 33: Frozen

Chapter 33: Frozen

Theo

"Hunter... there's something that I've been meaning to tell you."

He looked at me with genuineness, no absolute sign of pressure or force.

I winced for a moment, struggling to find the right words. "Ever since I first saw you in 7th grade, I couldn't get you out of my mind, it's... it's kinda weird, but I refused to accept that it's just more than admiration. It's only a year that I still... found you cute... that I accepted the fact that I liked you." I paused to take a breath and to see his reaction but he just nodded in encouragement. "Hunter, I like you. A lot. And for a while now, since 7th grade."

His gaze never changed, he just smiled warmly. "If you think this will change anything between us, you're dead wrong."

I chuckled and met his eyes once again. "You don't know how relieved I am to hear you say that." 

"Now, I kinda understand why you were so mad when you knew about that... you know?" He said.

He was implying to when I found out that my friends forced him to befriend me.

"I... I'm sorry, Hunter. I couldn't control my feelings. You probably don't want a weird gay kid crushing on you--"

He cut me off with a shake of his head. "You don't have anything to apologize for, Theo. You said it yourself, you can't control what you feel. It's a hundred percent okay for me."

"You... you still want to be my friend? It's probably weird that we're still dancing now..."

And then what he did next would've made me faint. He cupped my face in his hands, his touch warm on my face. 

"Of course I still would want to be your friend. You're so amazing and badass and you're such a fighter. I admire you for that. Although I can't... give you something you're wanting just yet, I still love you as a friend."

The song suddenly changed, the tune very familiar.

'Late at night when all the world is sleeping...'

Hunter guided my head so he could lay it on his shoulder as we swayed to the familiar music. His hands wrapped around my waist while I just closed my eyes, cherishing the moments.

"Thank you." I whispered against his shoulder.

...

My friends and I sat together as the event wrapped up.

"Hunter. Could you please, please drive my bestfriend home. I'm taking Diana home tonight and Athena." He gestured to the sleeping Diana on his shoulder. 

Hunter nodded his head, his arm around the back of my chair. "Sure."

Mal, who was sitting at my left, leaned closer to whisper in my ear. "How'd it go? Did anything happen?" She asked with a mischievous smile.

"I confessed." I said casually.

She grinned widely before patting my head like the good boy I was. I glared playfully before fixing my bangs.

As the event wrapped up completely. Hunter and I walked outside alongside each other. I was just texting my mother and the moment I hit send on my last text, my phone ran out of battery. 

I shrugged and pocketed it as Hunter turned to me. "Wait here. I'll get the car." He said with a smile and a wink.

I nodded before he jogged towards the parking lot. I waited silently, sitting down on the stairs as I was struggling to fight the cold and sleep. It was extremely late since it was Friday anyway, and they actually lessened the homework this weekend which is unexpected! That almost never happens.