Chapter 29: Sabotage

Theo

As Mal drove in silence, the two of us were exchanging puzzled looks. It's like we were mentally communicating.

But then it seemed like Mal couldn't bear the silence. "So... That was crazy."

I raised my hand in front of me, shaking violently. "Understatement of the year. I'm definitely asking Mom about this." 

"I'd recommend asking her about this when we actually know the full details about this."  

"But they have the full details."

Mal sighed, her fingers drumming on the steering wheel as we stopped by a red light. "I guess, you have a point. But for the sake of all of us, don't ask her just yet."

I nodded in understanding. "Yeah, you're right." After I finished speaking. We fell into a semi-awkward silence and I just knew I had to break it but don't know how. "So... Why'd you agree with Grandma to... force me to run for president when you didn't know all about... that." 

Mal sighed again, this time, slower and deeper. "I trust her, don't you? She just knows that this is the way to save the school and I didn't question it... I guess you'll be saving our school now."

"Yeah and I'm more determined than ever. No Sterling or Shane will stand in my way. I'm gonna fight and win fair and square." 

"You're gonna have to not only sway the students, but you wouldn't win if you don't have the Council on your side."

I turned away from the snowed fields to her. "Right, you haven't explained the... 'Council' yet. What is this infamous 'Council'?"

"Like I said, these are the people you will need to sway on your side. Although they might not affect whether you win on the final election night but they are important on whether you will last until the final election night."

"Yeesh, so they're that powerful?" I asked.

"That powerful. There are five members in the Council. You have Mr. Devin Martinez, our principal. Mrs. Celine Fortnum, the assistant or you could say Vice Principal. Mrs. Tina Rodriguez, the head teacher. Mr. Gregory Pablo, the Head Librarian and Mrs. Yvonne Mendoza, the Head of Mathematics Department. They vote two final candidates to head into the final election night from the five of you."

I nodded as she explain everything to me, memorizing every name as best as I can. 

"You need to sway them as much as you can. Guarantee at least three of them so you could advance especially now we know why you need to win."

"I... I'll try to do that." I said softly, hesitance slowly creeping into my words.

She looked away from the road to give me a stern but sincere look. "You will do that." She looked at the road again with a sigh, her third one since the car ride. "If you think you're not outstanding enough, don't try to please everyone, steer out of trouble as much as you can."

I offered her a reassuring smile. "I'm not a troublemaker. You know me enough to know that."

"Funny you think me knowing you makes it better. You're middle name is 'Trouble'." She teased, I slapped her arm as she laughed.

The rest of the ride was smooth-sailing, light topics here and there until we reached our respected homes.

...

Monday

Entering the school felt different, mostly because of realizing that this is all my great grandmother's work. She poured her everything on it, and also the reason why... we're broke. I sighed wistfully, staring at the beautiful school in front of me. It's only now that I'm realizing the beauty of it.