Chapter 24: Confrontation

Theo

"I just want to know why you wanted me to befriend Theo so bad." 

The three wasn't able to answer, they avoided eye contact from Hunter. "It doesn't matter. It's all good for all of us, Theo's happy, we're happy--"

I didn't let Mika finished as I stepped out of the shadows. All of their eyes turned on me, even Cielo who had his back on them. 

"So, that's why?" I said, my voice louder than usual. I looked at their faces, Hunter's surprised and the others' guilty. "You all forced him to befriend me? Am I right?" My deafening voice echoed through the maze.

"Theo, it's not what it looks like. We just wanted to make you happy because--"

"How do you know what's good for me? How do you know what makes me happy?" I looked at Mika with a thunderous glare, my voice getting caught in my throat after my last word. I looked at Hunter, his expression guilty. "So our friendship was just forced?" And at that, they all went quiet.

"N-no, Theo. It's not, I appreciate you--"

"If so, why the fuck did you not tell me?" My eyes slowly glistened in the orange lights from the walls of the maze, the situation sinking in ever so slightly. "That's why you comforted me? That's why you were nice to me? Because my friends told you?" 

Hunter just stayed silent, his eyes held something I couldn't explain. I shook my head disappointingly. 

And then I faced my so-called-friends. "And you all, what did I say, what the fuck did I request? It was the least you could do, to respect my decision, to respect my request." And the tears escaped my eyes. "When did you tell him?" I asked them, my voice getting quieter.

"...The end of last year."

My mouth parted. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I couldn't believe the friends I trust my whole life with, the friends that has helped me, betrayed my trust. What hurts the most is the four months of enjoying the new high-school life I had with my new friends... was all just fake, just for show. 

My tears continued spilling out of my eyes. I roughly wiped my cheek, as my other hand balled into a fist at my side. "You didn't only betrayed my trust, but you, you all! You all kept me in a bubble, a bubble that was far from reality that you knew was gonna burst." I said to them, hurt evident in my voice, my pained voice keeping them silent. "Some friends you are." 

And with that, I ran past all of them, exiting the hedge maze, hot tears running down my cheeks and feeling the cold air hitting my skin. I let it wash away the pain I was feeling.

The pain my friends caused.

...

12 Missed Calls, 131 Unread Messages. My phone buzzed over and over again as I laid on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. The moon emitting a soft glow from the window to my left. It was two in the morning.

"Theo, silent your phone. I'm trying to sleep." Theodosia said as she turned on her bed. I mumbled a 'sorry' before picking up my phone and reading the current messages. 

An incoming call from Hunter. 

If I was the old, dumb Theo who was oblivious to their doing, I would've picked up in a heartbeat. But it's different, and I wish it wasn't. 

My phone rung from an incoming call from Reign. I went to the bathroom to answer the call. My eyes were so swollen, my hair disheveled, I picked up, not caring about how I looked.