Chapter 32: Happy Valentine's

Theo

I studied myself in the mirror, tilting my head side to side as I thought of different options of what I can wear. I decided with wearing a pastel blue flannel shirt and a pink sweater over it then pairing it with white jeans.

It's only fitting for the Valentine's event that's happening at school today. I may not be participating but dressing up is still a vital thing for me. I take fashion seriously.

"Wow, you really are becoming a fashion icon. You dress better than us girls." Mal said with an impressed smile.

"Thanks, but I'm still pretty confused on what to call you. Mal or Reign?" I said, changing the topic subtly. 

He laughed as she patted the bed beside her. "You can call me whatever you want." She said.

I sat beside her and laid my head on her shoulder. "Then I'd call you Mal. Seriously, we've grew, a lot. It seems like it's only last year we were building people from cardboard so we'd have more people to play with."

She laughed again, the laugh that never changed since we were kids. "I don't even remember their names, our moms would always throw them away and we'd make more with different names. Now, we're literally saving our family's wealth."

I lifted my head to give her a look. "You know what got me thinking about the Reign Pharsa I met a few months ago?"

She squinted her eyes slightly, like she's deep in her thoughts before looking lost and shaking her head.

"Why you threw your coffee at me."

Her mouth formed an 'o' as she remembered. "Oh, that was one of my attempts for you to notice me. Some of my attempts was to make you jealous by... you know... being all around Hunter. But of course, you didn't recognize me at all." She said, rolling her eyes playfully.

"Hey! I mentioned the fact that you remind me of her."

She nodded in agreement. "I know, that actually had me shook, but being a good actress has its perks." 

I slapped her lightly as we shared another laugh before a companionable silence fell over us. 

She suddenly faced me, her expression soft. "Off topic. Since tonight is the Valentine's Day event for the couples, I found out at the end of the night, a long romantic music will be on loop for an hour. That might be an opportunity for you to... confess to Hunter." She said as a warm smile formed on her lips.

I turned away, looking to the side. "You know I can't do that. He'll think of me differently, I... I don't want to ruin our friendship."

She took my hand, laying hers on top of it. "I'm not trying to get your hopes up, Theo, but have you seen how he looks at you?"

I shook my head, intrigued at where she was going for. 

"He literally looks at you like you were the last piece of cake on earth, and that boy is obsessed with cake. He adores you so much, I know it." 

I shook my head again, but this time, it's because I refused to believe it. "I'm just gonna go with the flow tonight and enjoy what it holds." I said.

She nodded in understanding before we fell into another silence.

Some time later, Cielo picked the two of us up, excited for the incoming night.

...

My friends and I entered the gym to find it beautifully decorated with a pink, red and white theme. It definitely screams Valentine's-y.