Chapter Forty-Four

It had been a week since I had heard back from Kol other than a quick text saying he had something to take care of. I sat in my bed, finishing the letter I had started for Kol. I wanted to write down every little thought and feeling I had. It wasn't like he was ever going to see this. I expressed how I enjoyed spending time with him, how he made me feel important and alive at the same time. Most of all, how I was falling in love with him. I may have kind of said it more than once, feeling my cheeks heat a little from embarrassment. I hid the letter in my nightstand draw, in my copy of Brothers Grimm that my grandfather had gifted me. the inscription inside was him telling me that there will always be horror in the world but with every horror, there is goodness. I smiled when I touched over his handwriting and re reading the words, he left for me. I tucked the book away safely, then getting to my feet. I headed downstairs, Jeremy sitting at the bench, scoffing down bacon and eggs.

"Whoa, it's not going anywhere."

"No.....but....I....am." he said through mouthfuls. I pulled a face as he smiled through a mouthful of food.

"Where?" I asked after I watched him eat.

"Hunting, I need to finish this mark."

I nodded. He drew out the mark for me last night, we both had studied it for a little while before giving up on the possible location. The mark would fill out with every vampire kill Jeremy did. I frowned, not liking the idea of him going alone hunting vampires. Alaric came downstairs.

"I packed the bow and arrows, stakes and......good morning Jordan." He smiled at me awkwardly.

"You're going too?" I asked in disbelief.

"Well...." He shrugged. I looked between the two, pointing at both of them with narrowed eyes.

"You better check in every two hours."

"We promise." They both nodded. 

I met with Caroline at the Grill, to talk about the upcoming pageant.

"What if Kol doesn't make it back in time?" I asked her worriedly.

"Stefan looks good in a tux." She winked at me. I groaned. This wasn't making me feel any better. I leaned my head against the table, it felt too heavy to keep up at this very second.

"I'm sorry, I just.....I don't trust Kol." She said.

"You don't know him." I defend rather quickly. I shot up, glaring at her. Caroline nodded.

"You're right, I don't."

I watched her eyes flick to the door, I turned around to see who had come in and groaned. Klaus grinned over at us, before walking over.

"What are two lovely ladies like yourselves, doing in a place like this?" he mused.

"Oh, look at that, the riffraff has been allowed in......let's go Jordan." Caroline smiled at me. I felt my lips tug up, trying to keep from making eye contact with Klaus.

"I would think Jordan would like to hear the progress of her beloved sister."

My head turned at him bringing up Elena.

"How is she?" I asked.

"As well as one can, be expected suffering from the hunters curse. I found he impaled on her bedframe this morning."

I gasped, hand flying to my mouth as shock rocked through me. Damon had told me Elena was doing better.

"Klaus." Caroline hissed.

"My apologies love, Jordan asked me a question, I gave her the truthful answer."

I was silent, trying to process all the thoughts running through my head.

"Can I see her?" I asked.

"I don't see why not; I would encourage you to take muscle in, she can be rather....violent."

Caroline and I walked into the Mikaelson mansion, there were some hybrids standing guard, I eyed them. I could feel this dark and horrible feeling coming from a few. One stepped forward, I relaxed a little, he didn't feel as dark as the others.

"Follow me." he instructed. We nodded, following him passed the kitchen and to a room that was closed off. I gulped before turning back to Caroline.

"Can you give us some privacy?" I asked her. she touched my shoulder gently and smile.

"Of course." She nodded. I walked into the room, looking around. I heard Elena muttering under her breath. She started to cry.

"Elena?" I stopped where I was. Her head lifted up, tears sliding down her cheeks.

"Jordan......I'm.......NO!" she screamed as I took a step forward. I flinched away. She moved, putting more distance between us.

"It's ok......Care is just....." pointed back to the door.

"No....I can't......I almost killed you...." She sunk to the floor, crying. I felt my heart breaking at how distraught she was.

"I'm ok.....I promise....." I soothed. I sat down on the floor, not wanting to cause her any more emotional pain. She was punishing herself. Someone must have told her what she had done. She rocked backwards and forwards.

"You will be ok." I promised her.

I would find away to end this hunters curse and free her from the guilt and torment. 

Caroline dropped me home a few hours later, we had tried to cheer Elena up, but nothing seemed to be working. I checked my phone and still nothing from Kol. I tried to fight off the ache in my chest. He had said it was something to do with family, maybe he was trying to find the cure too? I tapped my lip in thought, we didn't know much about the cure. I called Bonnie who was on her way over, Caroline had to leave but promised she would stop by later. I waited on the couch, phone spinning in my hand. I tried calling Kol but got his voice mail.

"Hey, it's me....again. I just....miss you and want to hear your voice. Hope you're ok." I hung up and groaned a little. I wasn't this girl who got wound up over a guy. Kol wasn't just a guy though and he seemed to have wormed his way in my heart. I heard the door knock and yelled for them to come in. I saw Bonnie poke her head around the corner.

"I bring gifts." She smiled. she showed me the Chinese food in bags, I grinned jumping to my feet.

"I will get plates."

We ate as we read through some of the grimoires, looking for anything relating to hunters and the hunters curse. We had been reading for the past three hours.

"I have a thought." Bonnie said suddenly. I sat up, turning to her hopeful. "What if you could, siphon it?"

"Siphon a curse?" I frowned. Could I do something like that? Bonnie shrugged.

"It's magic and you kind of.....suck magic into you?" she bit her lip, trying to word her thoughts. I shrugged, we didn't have much else to go on and Klaus was not much help. He said that the hallucinations had gone away on their own, I frowned, didn't sound like they truly left him.

"I can give it a go." I nodded, I could try my best, if not, I guess we keep looking.