Part 2

It was another day and Jayne and Abraham were by the river washing clothes. Jayne went to a secluded part where no other maid was so that Abraham could sneak by and help her. 

The two washed their own and other's clothes. From the pile of Jayne's clothes was a silk lilac dress. The dress could only belong to one person; Octavia.

She held it longingly, wishing she had the easy route of life.

"What's the matter?" Abraham stopped washing his clothes.

"It's just, do you ever imagine what it would be like if you were born royalty?"

He pondered the question, "Not really, I already have everything I need."

"Yeah, and what's that?"

"Family."

Jayne's face visibly softened, there was a reason why he was Jayne's favourite capture target. The sweet and caring peasant boy, what he lacked in money, he made up for it in heart.

"You really like Mr Morton?"

"Well yeah, he's my father."

Jayne sadly smiled.

"Well, he may not be my birth father, but he took me in when I was 5. Ever since then I've been eternally grateful for how kind he treats me."

Jayne could only gaze at him, remembering all the sad things that happen in his storyline  "Why do you call him Mister? If he's like your dad."

"It's a sign of respect. I respect him. I still have some memories of my actual parents, it just, seems weird to call him father all the time, I've never said it to his face." He laughed, picking up a stick and drawing a smiley face with it on the little bit of sand that was there.

Jayne put a hand on his shoulder, "Hey." He turned his head to look at her. "Just know, I'm always here if you need me to be."

He turned around and took her hand, "Thanks." He tilted his head.

They stayed there for a few moments. 

Abraham's hand moved to the silk dress Jayne was still holding, "Do you imagine what it would be like to be royalty?" He asked her question.

She heavily sighed, "I guess, life would just be easier, you know."

"It seems lonely." He muttered.

"Huh?"

"Well, it's just, neither of us has actually seen Octavia before, and that's because she's always in isolation." He pouted.

Jayne ruffled his hair, "that's because she's the daughter of a duke, she has to do things, like learn how to play all those instruments."

"You said life would be easier, but that just sounds hard."

He had a point, the nobility had many duties that commoners didn't have, "Yes, but, I would rather sleep on a more comfy bed."

"Then buy a more comfy bed."

Jayne laughed. Ruffling his hair more, "You're so silly." Abraham squinted his eyes, not understanding how his logic was silly. Seeing his confusion, she elaborated, "I just meant that the nobility have money, something we don't have, it's just, it would be nice to be able to sleep in a more comfy bed and to wear colourful silk dresses." She ran her hand through the dress.

"I'll buy you one."

Jayne glanced at him, furrowing her brows.

"If it means that much to you, I'll save up money and buy you a dress." He smiled.

Her heart melted then and there, "Oh Abraham, please, you don't have to."

"But I want to." He stopped her, "You're my only real friend around here, and I want to show you how much you mean to me."

Jayne grabbed his hand, "I understand that Abraham, but friendship and love is not shown through transactions, but rather... through the time and memories that we share. I'd rather we spend more time together than you just buying something for me."

"But..." He seemed vexed, "My father always use to buy my mother flowers when they were together, are you saying he wasn't being genuine with that?"

"No!" Jayne panicked, "That's not what I meant at all, people can buy other people gifts and that's perfectly fine and genuine, I just don't want you to be penniless because you were buying gifts, a present is something you get as an extra way to show affection, but it shouldn't be the main way to show affection. We could hang out and on top of that we can buy each other little trinkets, but we shouldn't just buy trinkets and not hang out."

He slowly nodded, "I think I understand." Jayne sighed, "So that justs means that we hang out and I buy you a dress!" He glowed, looking at her with expecting eyes.

"Ah," Jayne was never going to get through to him, so she accepted defeat, "Sure."