The Ball - Day 2

Christopherus was standing on guard today, just like he was yesterday and just like he will do tomorrow and the days following after. But this his job, and after what recently happened, he's lucky to still he. He really needed to figure out a way to repay Jayne...

There are many guards who work at the castle patrolling many areas, so disappearing ten minutes before your shift ends wouldn't really be a big deal. It would be nice to get a nice walk before all guest started to flood in for the second day of dancing. 

So Chris quietly walked away from his position, it's not like anything eventful is going to happen when he's gone. He crept towards along the halls observing the lavish paintings decorating the halls, the biggest one, of course, is a reenactment of the king slaying the fearsome dragon to save his beautiful darling. Twenty years that was now, Chris was barely a babe when that happened, and let's just say the king is definitely past his prime.

As he continued down the halls, he noticed one of the doors slightly ajar, so he when to inspect it. Walking in he saw Xalvador walking to and fro whilst muttering to himself.

"Xalvador?" He rested on the door.

"AH!" A book flew out of his hand, "Chris! What are you doing here?" He combed his dishevelled hair.

"Uh, strolling. What are you doing?" He crossed his arms.

"What do you mean, this is my room?"

"You just seem a bit... frantic, something troubling you?"

Xalvador stood still. "I am working on a theory." He said in a calm, steady voice. He moved and picked up the book he threw.

"And what's that?"

Xalvador took in a deep breath, "The multiverse." He drifted to the other side of the room to put his book on the bookcase.

"The what?"  Chris invited himself further into his room."

"I think," He rubbed his eyes, "I think multiple universes exist, alternate realities with alternate timelines... and I'm trying to confirm my suspicions."

Chris nodded even though he did not understand, "Why the belief? I never heard you talking about it before."

Xalvador pulled out a chair and sat down, "Let's just I had a reliable source of information.

The two stood in silence and for every second that past the more painfully awkward it became, "It's just... I can't breach through to another universe without a powerful vessel."

"Wait, you mean to tell me that the court wizard of Telepylus is unable to perform such a task." He teased.

"Do you know anything about the magic system?" He spat.

"If I did, I would be a wizard."

"Uh." He rubbed his nose, "Mages... we can store our magical powers into inanimate objects that act as vessels, that's why most of us wear some form of jewellery." He pulled out a necklace he was wearing under his shirt, it was a blue crystal tied by leather, "Because vessels can build an unlimited supply of magic. They're useful because mages can be depleted of magic when using too much, so they act as a backup of sorts, but they're mainly useful in intensifying our own magic. And vessels gain power through emotions transferred to it through skin to vessel contact, so we wear them all the time so that any intense emotion we experience will automatically be transferred into magical energy." He tucked his necklace back in, "Unfortunately, I haven't had enough experience with such feelings that my vessel isn't powerful enough to tear reality." 

"I see..." Chris had no idea what he was talking about, "Well, good luck with that."

"Yeah, yeah."