Part 9

Oh for fuck's sake. Four bandits on horses emerged through the trees. This is what happens when you take the main road.

BANG.

They shot one of the men escorting her, his body tumbling to the ground. The gunshot frightening the horses pulling the wagon, causing them to run mental and Jayne to toss and turn with the cabbages.

"AHh." She fell and her face landed in a sack of potatoes. The other man left alive managed to unhook his horse from the wagon and took off on his own. Leaving one berserk horse strapped on, and because there was not a horse carrying the left side of the wagon, the weight was heavily shifted and Jayne's body flung to the side. "FACK." She grabbed on tightly as cabbages and potatoes were falling out. She looked onward to see the bandits getting closer. Acting on instinct, she grabbed a potato and aimed at one of them. Hitting him right in the head, causing him to fall off his horse, "FUCK YOU!" Jayne had never felt more alive.

That was until one of the bandits shot the horse and the wagon stopped. Jayne grimaced at the horse's mutilated head. Jayne, now fully coming to realise the situation she was in was absolutely terrified.

There was no way she could outrun them no physically beat them. So she did her best to hide the wagon, finding a sack still inside and covered herself up.

"Don't shoot, It was a girl screaming, she's more valuable alive." A sick grin came from one of them.

Jayne curled up, even more, not wanting to find out what he meant by that.

"That doesn't mean we can't give her a little punishment, she managed to hit me in the eye."

"Maybe with such impeccable aim she should join us." One of them laughed, clearly not being serious.

Jayne hitched her breath as she heard the horses' stop and feet beginning to move

"We know you're here girlie, now be a good girl and come out, we won't hurt you... much."

The footstep became eerily slow and louder, "Tik Tok, tik Tok." he clicked his tongue, turning the corner to face the wagon, Jayne's foot poked out, "It seems we have shoe." He grabbed on, yanking Jayne away from the sack.

"Let me go!" Jayne punched his jaw and he stumbled back, clenching hard, Jayne jumped over the wagon and started running into the forest.

"You bitch! Now you'll pay." He pulled his gun and aimed at the running girl. He took a shot. And just like the horse, Jayne fell to the ground.

Luckily the wound was on her right leg, but that means she couldn't run. Blood oozed out of her thigh, trailing down and turning her brown trousers red. She screamed and clung to a tree.

"Nowhere to go, you bitch." He caught up to her and lifted his gun towards her temple, "The other's said to keep you alive, but you've caused enough damage already, plus, your body will still warm afterwards, it's no big deal."

Jayne whimpered and closed her eyes, hugging the tree as if it were someone close. Someone who she wished had a proper goodbye to, someone she wished she told she loved but never got the opportunity to do so

A bullet was fired and went straight through the brain. The birds in the surrounding trees all flew away, and the smoke from the pistol went up to the sky towards the gods.

Jayne felt the cold ring of the muzzle leave her forehead. She opened her eyes to see that the bandits gun never fired and that another man shot him.

"Are you okay?" He approached her, bending down gently and tenderly caressed her cheek to look at her.

"Y-yeah."

He looked down and inspected her, "You're injured." He gently trailed her leg

"Tis' but a scratch." She laughed through her tears, her laughter turning into screaming. She buried her head into his chest, "There's... there's still more, just outside the forest, please... save yourself."

"Don't be ridiculous, guards!" He shouted, which they came forth, "Deal with those pesky bandits," he turned back to Jayne, "Jesus, that's a lot of blood, I've got to take you to a doctor," He pulled off his cape and tore some of it off, wrapping it around her leg as a temporary bandage. He wrapped his arms around her, lifting her up and running to a horse. Jayne fainted from the trauma and blood loss.

-

Jayne arose lying on a bed, the room was small and it was nighttime, she tried to get up, but her leg pulled her down. The door opened.

"Ah, you're awake, that's good." The man walked with a glass of water, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling-" She finally registered his face. The man who had rescued her was Roderick Oquare, a member of the nobility, and a capture target, "Why does this always happen to me?!"

"What?" He stepped closer.

"Don't!" She raised her hands, "Please just... keep a distance."

"I'm sorry." He placed the glass down and took a step back.

"Where are we?"

"Telephylus infirmary."

"What!?" Jayne shrieked, then she realised that Telephylus infirmary and the Palace infirmary are two separate locations.

"It was the closest one, unfortunately, I assume you were heading to Phaecia as that was where the food supply was going."

"How- How do you know that?"

"I asked around while you were passed out, which was for... twelve hours, I was growing worried."

"...Why did you stay around? I mean, after dropping me off you could've left."

His body grew stiff, "What kind of heartless being do you think I am? Plus... I have business here, when your leg has healed I'll make sure you can get back home safely."

Jayne lowered her head, "Thank you."

Roderick heavily sighed and moved towards a window, "Jesus Christ, It's been a long day, but I'll let you rest now, even though you've had plenty of it." He chuckled, moving towards the door

"Wait." Jayne thought something was odd, "What did you say?"

"It's been a long day?"

"No, no, you said Jesus Christ."

"Yeah... and?" He rested his arm on the doorframe.

"Christianity doesn't exist in this world, 'Jesus Christ' isn't a saying here because he doesn't exist."

"Wh-what?" Roderick was visibly shaking.

"You're, you're like me, you're not from here, are you?"

-

A/N: Guess who did 5 days worth of homework in 5 hours and submitted all their work literally five minutes before the deadline closed :)

Why am I like this