Part 3

"You asked to see me, your highness?" Christopherus was in Desmideus' quarters, which was big enough to be its own little house. They were inside his drawing-room just outside his bed-chambers

"Yes, have a seat." He pointed to a luxurious white and gold velvet. Christopher warily took a seat as Desmideus was smiling innocently with his lips but sinisterly with his eyes, "Do you know why I asked you here." He rested his back against a wall instead of sitting down.

"No, your highness." Chris fought back the urge to fiddle his fingers.

"You see, I want your opinion on something because I'm not sure if I need to see a doctor or not, I think I might be hallucinating because there's no other way to explain why I saw you talking to Jayne Smith outside the stables."

Chris hitched and veins were threatening to burst out of him, "Your highness~"

"Don't. I don't want to hear what pathetic excuse you have, you lied to me." He leaned off the wall and pointed at him, "You said Jayne was in Phaecia and showed no signs of leaving, yet I find a few weeks later her here in Telepylus and you acting all 'buddy-buddy' with her, I thought I told you I didn't want you to interact with her."

"Well... she caught me, your highness, she saw me eating breakfast and an inn and recognised me as a soldier who worked here, and having sent her that letter addressed by you she put two and two together." Chris gripped the armchair.

For a short moment, Desmideus' anger changed to amusement thinking of Jayne, "She's more perceptive than I thought." He chuckled, which quickly died as he faced Christpoherus, "You should've told me she figured you out."

"Yes, I should've your highness, I just feared that you would've fired me from your position." He looked down to the floor, hearing a sinister laugh emanate in front of him.

"Chris, I'm not a monster, it's not your fault if she's so intelligent, I would've simply brought you back home." Chris felt Des approach and loom over his chair, "However, due to your continuous lying I'm afraid I can't keep you here."

Chris looked up to find Desmidues inches away from his face, "Your highness, please, I need this job."

Desmideus laughed at stood back, "Really? Clearly not enough if you were willing to lie... and for what, for the sake of Jayne?"

Chris thought back to the moments he had spent with Jayne and stood up, "You know, you say you did this with Jayne's best intentions, but what about Jayne, huh, have you ever thought about what she wants."

Chris quickly regretted what he said as he saw Desmideus' face grew red. If he wasn't angry before he was certainly furious now, "Of course I have, if I didn't, I would've had you kidnap her back to Telepylus. I would watch what comes out of that tongue of yours if don't want it ripped out.  You lied to your superior, now get out." Desmideus stormed around to walk into his bedroom, hand on the doorknob.

"Your Highness, please! I'm sorry for speaking out of line, that was inappropriate of me, but I'll do anything to keep this job."

It was then that a sudden opportunity appeared before Des, "Anything?" He turned his head slyly.

"Y-Yes, your highness." Chris didn't like where this was going.

"Well." Des stepped away from the door, "I'll let you keep your job if you make sure Jayne doesn't leave, what do you say, convince her to stay, tell her she can have her job back here, but if I find she's left Telepylus you have to give me your badge."

The two stood in silence for an uncomfortably long time until Chris nodded. "Yes, your highness."

And with that, Chris was dismissed.