The Ball - Day 4

By the fourth day of the ball, everyone was a little bit tired of it. A fifth of the guests who were invited to an entire week of luxury had decided to go home early, as they were all 'partied out.'

Unfortunately, Octavia was not one of them and showed up in all her glory with sparkling diamonds that rivalled the crystal chandeliers. Desmideus watched her flaunt around the ballroom. Laughing maniacally whilst she made small talk with the guests and just made everyone around her instantly besotted when speaking to her.

He really had to do something about her. Ordering his father to do her dirty work to find Jayne was disgusting. Being the prince, he did what he could to stop people searching for her. But he could only delay it for so long, if you want to get rid of a weed you must pull it by the roots.

His eyes bored into her figure, watching some Duke take her attention and for them to go outside once again. Des stood from his throne and strutted towards a certain individual standing guard for one of the doors, leaning casually against the wall near him so no one would notice them talking.

"Christopherus, I have a proposition for you."

"Yes, your highness."

"You know how one of the ten knights has fallen ill recently, they say there's no chance of him gaining his health back."

Chris glanced towards Des but saw him give a glare to indicate to not make eye contact,"...Yes, your highness."

"Well, you're just one rank below being a knight, correct?"

"Yes... your highness."

"Well... I may say as the prince, I have considerable influence for who will become one of the next knights of the kingdom, I know you're qualified, I've seen you train with your fellow captains, better than most of them... but maybe a couple of them are better than you, probably due to your absence for so long, but I can make sure you get the position." He let his head rest on the wall as a smug grin plastered his face.

"...What is it that you ask for me, your highness?" Chris stood stiff.

"Follow Octavia for the night, report what she does and says tomorrow morning, she's outside in the maze right now, I hope you consider my offer." And with that, Des walked away from him back to his throne. Leaving Chris on his own to think, he looked at the glass doors that led outside to the maze. And with a decision made, he walked towards it.

-

Inside his room, Xalvador was picking up the papers he had thrown around in a fit of rage, frustrated that he was getting nowhere in his work. He looked upon his window that displayed the maze and that great statue. Two people who he assumed were nobles were standing by it as they had done before a couple of days ago. Xalvador looked upon the statue of the King and his sword. Surely something like that would be powerful enough to tear into reality, the emotion of stabbing the beast that had dared kidnap the love of their life, that, and the absolute pain and rage the dragon itself would've felt experiencing such a fatal blow.

Alas, that sword is a fake, not many people knew the truth, but when the King struck the dragon, it cried in pain and flew away with the sword still in its body, they chased after it, but when they found the dragon, it was dead and the sword was missing.

The court mage, who was good friends with the king, told him that before he died. He also checked that sword for any sort of magical energy and there was none. The real sword is somewhere in those mountains, with magical energy just waiting to be exploited.

But the mountains were huge and impossible to scale, it would be a suicide mission to try and attain something in dragon infested land.

Xalvador took his gaze off the mountains and back to the maze, this time seeing Chris watching the couple from a distance, "What's that idiot doing this time." He muttered, then drew his curtains so he didn't have to look at that mockery of a sword.