Part 7

She was numb. All emotion of anger, grief and sadness was vacant from her heart. All she felt was cold. The only thing she could hear was the sound of her heartbeat. She did not hear Abraham's cries. She could not see the crowds eyes on her. All she could see was the vacant, soulless expression in his eyes.

This was the first time Jayne ever saw someone die. She fell off her horse, passing out.

-

She awoke next to a fireplace, the fire was dull. A thin blanket was wrapped around her doing next to nothing for warmth. But the sofa she lied on was somewhat comfortable.  She looked up to see an exhausted Abraham slouched on a chair. His dark circles bulging out of his eyes. He looked over at her and saw that she was awake.

"Hey." His voice was broken.

Jayne couldn't muster a response. She examined the room to find that they were in Mr Morton's house. She finally looked back at him, he was still looking at her.

"What happens now?" She couldn't possibly discuss his death.

"We move."

Jayne slightly sat up, "What?"

"I don't want to stay here anymore, I can't work for the people who killed him."

Jayne nodded in agreement, "Where would you go?"

"Where would you like to go?"

"What, what do you mean?" She fully sat up, crossing her legs on the sofa, snuggling into the blanket.

"I'm not letting you stay here, Jayne, that girl, Octavia, there's something mentally wrong with her."

"What do you mean?"

His leg bounced uncontrollably, "She was there, at the... place. She just seemed a bit too happy at the whole ordeal. When you showed up and fainted, I immediately ran to catch you and to take you somewhere safe. Octavia cried out for the men to chase after me and to get you back."

"And you outran them?"

"I had a horse, they didn't." He tried to smirk, but it just turned into a frown.

"But, wouldn't the house be the first place they would search to find us?"

"Yeah, but," he reached down and pulled a book."I stole this from the library a few weeks ago." He showed it to her; it was a magic book, "Everyone has a little bit of magic in them, I was able to transport the location of the house to the middle of nowhere."

"That... that seems like it would take a lot of energy, why not just teleport the two of us instead?"

Abraham frowned, only just realising that was a possibility, "Well, um, I... We... need a place to stay, right?"

That answer seemed plausible to Jayne, but she was still curious, "You're not particularly a great wizard though, I just wouldn't think you'd have the energy to do it."

"It's a good thing I had this." He showed her his wrist with the two bracelets on it. Jayne bit her lip and furrowed her brows, not understanding, "I read that objects can harness extra energy to make magic more powerful, and these two bracelets harness the most powerful energy there is... love."

Jayne wanted to scoff and roll her eyes at how cheesy it was. But what can you expect from an Otome game? In this world, everyone has the ability to use magic, some are more naturally talented than others, but learning magic was a very long and strenuous task, so only about a third of the population were mages. Yet Abraham was able to move an entire house, a very small house, but a house nonetheless. Even with the help of the bracelets, it was still very impressive for a newbie.

"Who would've thought the love they shared for each other was so strong it harnessed itself into energy?" Jayne smiled, thinking back to the day she had found that bracelet.

Objects could harness energy if the owner of the object channelled enough energy into it. For example, in one of Desmideus Zatara's bad endings, the MC and he actually get married, but the villainess Selene was so furious that she channelled all of her rage into her golden caduceus staff and uses the energy to literally destroy the capital and the heroine. 

So harnessed objects should not be taken lightly.

"Well, at least Mr Morton has reunited with his love again." Abraham sadly laughed.

The two stayed silent, but being in each other's company was enough. Jayne thought of what to do now, her plan not only didn't work, it resulted in a death, maybe Ana was right when she said she was the biggest fuck up and shouldn't be messing with the timeline, but it's not like she could reverse time. All she could do now was mind her own business. Maybe being an extra wouldn't be so bad. But there is one problem...  Abraham. He's not an extra or a side character, he's capture target, which is a very big role, but, considering what has happened so far, it's not like he's going to be a love interest anymore. Should she stay with him? It's more likely something bad might happen if she continues being his friend. But... he's all alone now, to just abandon him right now would be so heartless. She would stay, for a few months, get him back on track, wait till he gets a job and a home and is emotionally stable. Then she was part ways with him, it was for the best.

 If they were to move, they would need to pack, she would need to go and grab her satchel and "Shit!" She stood up, the blanket falling off her.

Abraham looked up, concerned, "What is it? Are you alright?"

"My satchel, I- I always carry it with me, I had it when we went on that picnic, but-"

Abraham stood up and walked away, "Abraham?" Well, that was a bit rude.

He came back holding the satchel.

"Ahh!" She yelped with joy and ran to hug him.

He hugged her back, "Yeah, um, I wanted to look after it for you." He held her oh so tightly and subtly sniffed her hair. The light in his heart rekindling after his death burnt it out. 

She sadly moved away and put on her satchel, "Where do we go now?"

He went to sit on the sofa, "I was thinking Teleplus, that's where all the highest paying jobs are, me and... me and him saved up a bit of money over the years, we have enough to be able to rent a room in an inn for a couple of years, but we may be lucky enough that the jobs we get provide accommodation. Unfortunately, travel is too far for us to be able to teleport, but we do have a horse for both of us to ride, it should take about 3 days if we ride non stop and a week if we ride casually."

Jayne listened in, nodding along, then a thought crept in, "How do you know that?" 

Abraham's face once again turned to shock at Jayne's inquisitive nature, "I... read a book, okay?"

"Wow... I didn't know you could read." She jested, trying to lighten the mood.

He glared at her, raising a brow but then sighed and scoffed. He stood up, "We'll leave at sunrise, okay?"