Part 8

Sunrise came and Jayne and Abraham were ready to leave. The horse Jayne stole from the stables was actually Octavia's white horse. She didn't realise it at the time since she was preoccupied with other things, however, in this world. White horses were a rarity. So, to make life just a tad bit harder for them, of course, their horse would stand out from the crowd whilst search parties were sent to retrieve Jayne.

Luckily they never ran into any trouble, through the ride was somewhat awkward for Jayne, for she had to sit behind Abraham and hold into his waist for the entire journey. It was very intimate. Abraham was ecstatic for the entire ride, though he did not show it.

They had arrived at the capital. Everything was golden. In the centre was a giant hill that held the palace. Made entirely out of marble. The city Aeolia only had a castle made out of stone, sure it was pretty, but this was magnificent. Even from a distance, Jayne was in awe at the sight. It was one thing to see it as a drawing while playing the game, but it was another to see it come to life and to see it with your own eyes.

Abraham glanced back to look at her face, amused at her mesmerised face, "If you want, we can get a closer look?"

She looked back at him, "Huh?"

"Well, I was thinking that since the palace offers the highest paying jobs, we could try and get a job there." He kicked the horse to make the way to the palace.

The palace, that's where three of the other capture targets live. Maybe it wouldn't be such a great idea, "You know, it's probable that they don't need any more help."

"Maybe, but we both have experience working in a castle, so we would more likely be offered a job."

"And how are we meant to prove that we've worked in a castle?"

Jayne couldn't see but Abraham frowned, not realising he would have to do that, "Umm... well, we are riding on a white horse, something that only rich people can afford, we can say that the duke himself sent us to present the horse as a gift for that prince's birthday and that there was a slight delay, and so to make up for it, he instructed his most skilled male and female member of staff to work for him in the palace."

Her jaw dropped at how fast he came up with such an elaborate lie, "What if he'd want proof, like a letter written by the duke?"

"Oh," He waved his head, "The nobility don't care for such proof, having a white horse is enough."

She raised a brow in disbelief, but then took notice of the people on the streets, all of them were subtly whispering and looking at them, "Why are they staring?"

"As I said, the white horse, no commoner buys a white horse when a normal horse can do the same thing, the only people around here who ride white horses are the very wealthy, nobility and royalty. Oh and the commander of the army, to show he is the commander, they're probably staring because we too are dressed like commoners."

"And where did you learn all of this?"

He smirked, "I read a book."

"Of course you did."

-

They had reached the top of the hill and were greeted with a gate and two guards.

"We have a delivery for the King and the crown prince."

The guard stared at him, not saying a word.

"... From The Duke of Aeolia. May we come in?"

The guard didn't say anything.

'Oh, Jesus Christ.' Jayne got off the horse and walked up to them, "Hello, my name is Jayne Smith, I'm the physician who had the skill to wake up Lady Octavia Nightshade of Aeolia. I'm sure the duke wrote a letter praising my craft to the King himself on the monthly city report, I would hate to see you both get in trouble for not allowing us in. I think I remember the Duke telling me how the King wrote in a letter of how he himself was envious of the Duke for having a physician with such great skill. We come bearing the gift of a white horse from the Nightshade family."