Five Seconds (Richie Tozier x Reader)

Summary: When you confessed to Richie, you got the expected response, but that doesn't mean it hurt any less. Not even a week later he decides to talk to you, not so subtly jealous about you spending time with Ben. Things sort of...escalate from there.

Warnings: Cussing and Kissing. (oh no, not kissing! *parents screaming, children crying, Ohio catches on fire*) This is a request. DON'T HESITATE TO SEND IN REQUESTS. (Don't send in like 50 tho. I still need sleep.)

"Can I t-talk to you."

Richie stops laughing at Stan and, still giggling, turns to you. "Yeah, what's up?"

You glance over Richie's shoulder to see Beverly shoot you a thumbs up. "I've been, well- It was Beverly's idea! But for a while now..." You stumbled over words, trying to soften the embarrassing blow of 'I have a crush on you'.

"I like you!" You blurt, deciding to get it over with. "I l-like you as more than a friend."

There's a moment of silence in which you count the seconds that painfully tick by.

One. Richie's mouth opens and closes, you can see his eyes dart to the other boys. They're whooping and hollering, pushing him and giggling like idiots.

Two. You can feel the headrush hit you hard, along with waves of nausea.

Three. Teasing smiles stay on the boys' faces, but Beverly's melts off. She knows. She knows what's going to happen.

Four. Richie's ears turn fire hydrant red as you grow pale and faint. His eyes once again scan the boys, who continue to tease without mercy. You close your eyes, wishing they'd stop. There would be nothing to celebrate.

Five. "I'm s-sorry..."

He looks lost, twisting around in his seat on the log. The boys see that something's wrong, thank god. It's about to get very awkward.

"I-"

"Rich, c'mon..." You say, laughing lightly, as if the situation could be taken that way. You're preparing to lie through your teeth, desperate to take it back. "It's just a small t-thing. It's not even a-a crush anymore! There, Bev, I said it? We're all okay? All good?"

The air is thick and you can feel it, choking you. "(Name), I don't- I don't think of you-I just..." Richie stutters, only making the situation worse. "I don't like you like that."

Like that. He couldn't even name what the feeling was. He was too grossed out to say it out loud, and that's what stung the most.

"Richie, I was joking." You state firmly. The sheer humiliation was enough to make a grown man cry, but not you. It was easier to be mad at him than at yourself. "I was completely kidding! But now you've made it weird. Thanks for that."

"(Name)-"

"Richie, it's fine!" You repeat, trying to convince yourself more than him. "Honestly, why are you making such a big deal out of this? Jesus..."

You get off the log and brush yourself off, walking over to your bike. Everyone's eyes kept flicking from you to Richie like in a soccer watch. Even with your back turned, you could still feel their gazes, burning holes into your back. You turn towards them, mounting your bike.

"Guy really, stop acting like it's such a big deal!" You say, throwing your hands up in defeat. They were still quiet. Mike looked at you with pity, Bill stared at the ground and Ben whistled lowly, thinking no one could hear him.

"Okay, you guys are making this weird. I'm out!" You call, beginning to pedal away. Don't cry, you'll make it worse, don't cry, you won't be able to stop. You repeat that in your head until it sticks, but it's getting harder and harder to steer the bike as your eyes glaze over.