The Body (Mike Wheeler x Reader

"(Y/N)?"

I turn to the direction of Mike's doorway, and see his mom standing there with a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Mrs. Wheeler, is everything all right? What happened? Is Mike home?", I bolt up from his bed and meet Mrs. Wheeler by Mike's door.

"(Y/N), sweetie, Will is-", she gasps and cuts herself off. She coughs, "Mike will tell you, he's down in the basement.", she says sternly and goes downstairs.

Frazzled, I make my way down to the basement and I immediately hear screaming.

"Are you deaf? I thought we were friends, you know? But friends tell each other the truth. And they definitely don't lie to each other. You made me think Will was okay, that he was still out there, but he wasn't. He wasn't! Maybe you thought you were helping, but you weren't. You hurt me. Do you understand? What you did sucks.", he sighs, "Lucas was right about you. All along."

I gasp, but quickly ignore the lump in my throat.

Did all of that mean, Will was gone?

No, he can't be.

"Mike?", I squeak from the staircase, "What do you mean Will isn't out there?"

He doesn't look up from the drawings.

"El?", I look to her. She doesn't say anything just closes off her fort and plays with the walkie talkie.

"Look, Mike I'm sorry for ditching you guys.", I apologize and move closer to the couch.

He doesn't flinch.

You sigh,"Stop acting like your the only person who's friends with Will! You act all mopey and all that, but you don't see that you're not the only one who's hurting!", I exasperate and he finally looks at me.

"Oh yeah, who's the one who never showed up to our sleuths-"

"I told you that I was under house arrest! Why can't you understand that?"

"Well, guess what? I'm under the same circumstances as you are and I still show up and sleuth!"
"Listen, Michael.", My voice breaks, "I am this close to leaving this town. My parents are ready to pack up and leave. If I went sleuthing with you guys, I probably wouldn't be here anymore. I wanted to be with you, believe me when I say that."

I sigh and sit down beside him.

"Tell me what I'm doing wrong.", you say and start sobbing, "Y-you make i-it seem l-like I-I'm such a b-bad f-friend."

You pull your knees to your chest and start crying.

You suddenly feel a twisting on your right ankle, and you look up to see El with a concentrated expression on her face.

"Ow! Ow! O-Ow!", you groan in pain and fall to the floor.

"El, why'd you do that?", you hear Mike say.

"She hurt you."

"El. Fort. Now.", you hear Mike say and feel arms pull you up.

"Can you walk?", Mike says gently.

"N-No I d-on't think s-so.", you whisper and groan.

"Here. Um, stay on the couch. I'll go get some ice.", you see Mike walk up the stairs.

You look around the room and see El looking at you with worried eyes.

"Hey, El, It's all right. I'll be fine. Don't worry. Now go do something on the walkie-talkie.", you smile and wince. A sudden pain shoots all through your leg.

"I-I'm sorry.", she stutters and looks at you with sorry eyes.

"It's okay, now go. Will might be transmitting something somewhere.", I shoo her away.

As much as I missed all the sleuthing, news travels fast about Joyce and Her Lights.

El retreats and closes off the fort again and Mike comes back.

"Here.", he says and moves a stool so he can prop the ice on your ankle.

"Uh, thanks.", you shiver as another gust of pain shoots up your leg.

The silence lingers.

"Will wouldn't want you to be like this.", you sigh and look over to Mike who is now beside you.

"Dead or alive, Will wouldn't want you to be like this. Sad and angry and taking it out on your best friends.", you lightly punch Mike on the shoulder but end messing up the ice pack on your swollen ankle. Another gust of pain.

Mike takes you in his arms.

"Thanks.", you mutter against his chest and bury your face deeper into it.

"I'm sorry.", he whispers and leans his head on the sofa.

"Don't apologize to me apologize to El.", you chuckle and he goes over to El and apologizes.

"And help me get up the stairs when you're done will ya?", you shout and lean against the sofa.