Chapter Four

The two humans, fluffy monster and the short skeleton ventured into the waterfall area. They felt a bit refreshed from resting in the vacant house for a day. Not sure what they're planning to do, everyone agreed to figure out what's going on. Asriel has no memories of the rampant Toriel from earlier due to the last reset so he's out of the loop.

Frisk and Asriel were chatting ahead, while Chara stood behind with Sans.

"So you're aware of the world's resets too." Chara said so low that Asriel couldn't hear.

"Yep," Sans replied simply. "Don't think that remembering the timelines gives you some special place with Frisk."

Although feeling a bit sympathetic for Chara and being willing to help him out a bit, he still didn't like the idea of him being with Frisk. He didn't think he ever would.

"Pfft. That's not what I meant." Chara snickered. "You really like her, huh?"

Sans felt his face turning blue. "Why do you care?" He asked. "It's not like it makes much of a difference to you."

"Because someone else might snatch her away." Chara winked, in a teasing manner.

"Hmph. I'm sure you would," Sans responded angrily. "That's just like you after all."

"What do you mean by that, skully?" Chara asked. He stopped calling him King, since he's obviously not the king. "Seems like you have something against me. Perhaps, was there someone like me?"

Sans hesitated before responding. "Maybe," he answered. "Maybe I just can't seem to get over the past."

If they're going to work together like this, Chara wants to know what Sans is hiding.

"Help me to understand then." Chara said sincerely.

"I don't know how to do that," Sans said with a sigh. "Some things you just can't understand."

"Welp, you can start with telling it as a story." Chara shrugged. "You figured out mine from yesterday, heh." Chara frowned.

"Let's just say where I come from you aren't very friendly. You took control of Frisk and then...you killed everyone." Sans admitted.

Recalling the memories made Sans feel an odd mixture of anger and intense sadness. "My brother was killed too. Eventually it got to a point where I couldn't take it anymore."

"I'm a judge too. I attacked Frisk and killed her multiple times. But then you finally were able to kill me. That's all." Sans finished.

Chara felt a bit of anger towards the other Chara. "If I ever met another me like that, I wouldn't hesitate to kill him, but..."

Thinking how Frisk had to die in result of that, that must have been hard for Sans.

"I don't know how you were able to do it, I mean, kill Frisk too as a result." Chara continued, "That must have be hard... I'm sorry."

"I didn't exactly ask for your sympathy," Sans replied back. "I still don't necessarily feel comfortable around you. I mean, I don't want to hate you. But I can't make myself like you either."