Chapter Eight

Chara took Asriel aside somewhere. It bothered him seeing Frisk and Sans like that. He didn't realize how intense his feelings gotten. He wonders if he even has a chance. He's a bit worried for his brother too. Frisk is bound to eventually choose one of them, but who?

"So, Rei." Chara began and was a bit surprised Asriel didn't pout at the nickname this time. "Uh... hello?"

"Hm?" Asriel responded. He had been deep in thought. "Oh, sorry. I was spacing out." He laughed nervously. He was painfully aware of how strange he was acting. He knew Chara would be suspicious.

"This isn't like you." Chara stated. "You usually HATE it when I call you by your nickname."

Asriel shook his head. "I'm fine. It's just been a weird few days, you know? I'm still processing things." He smiled nervously.

Asriel hated it when his brother was suspicious of him. He just wanted to be able to go back to the times when they would roleplay and goof around like college chumps! Everything felt so different then...

"I get it." Chara replied. "It's nothing like what we used to do... I guess I made an error not letting you near troublesome things. I always made you out to be stronger than you are physically."

Toriel's words come to mind.

'Chara. Please, protect Asriel.'

Toriel knew Chara was strong. She knew there was something about him. So Chara made an oath to protect Asriel from all the dangerous things.

Chara wanted to tell him that, but the topic of their mother was still too painful. She'd used to call often... but there hasn't been any phone calls. He's sure Asriel's aware from this, especially since he told him she had died. There's definitely a chance their real mother is truly gone...

"It wasn't your fault!" Asriel said defensively. "You were just being a good brother and protecting me!"

After seeing so many horrible things and finding out the truth, Asriel noticed that he was changing. He no longer thought of himself as highly as he used to. He felt like someone completely different. Why did he feel like he wanted to cry?

Chara noticed that look on his face. He's seen his brother cry many times before ever since they were kids. He was always so sensitive, but this was worse than anything before.

"Hey," Chara put his hand on his shoulder. "If you need to cry, then go ahead."

Asriel shook his head. "I'm an adult. I need to be strong." he said quietly. He tries even harder to hold his tears in, not wanting to cry again. He felt a few tears rolling down his fluffy cheeks. He quickly wiped them away and then smiled. "See? I can be strong!"

"Even the strongest ones let it out, you know." Chara handed a tissue to him. "Even I cry at times. Believe me, it's not good to hold it all in."

"But you...you never cry in front of me! I cry all the time and I don't like it! I just want to be who I thought I was for so long." Asriel took the tissue and wiped his nose. He was still trying not to cry, despite having failed that already.

Chara flicked his forehead. "Silly goat. Remember when we were kids when I ran away and came back? That's when I first cried in front of you." Chara sighed. He knew Asriel wanted to be a royal guard. Toriel would be so strong and always bring in humans to protect. After seeing Papyrus, that must have been traumatic for him.