Chapter Fifteen

Papyrus watches Undyne and Asriel    get ready for their training.

"The rules are simple. You may only use branches as your weapons. The first monster to knock the other down wins. If Undyne keeps winning, Asriel must proceed until he does. Do NOT hurt one another's HP. This is for practice to test your strength and speed." Papyrus ordered. "Now, begin."

Asriel grabbed a branch close by and looked at Undyne, waiting for her to grab one as well. Before he even saw her grab anything though he was on the ground. He got up and went to wipe himself off, but was knocked down again. He reached over to grab the branch that he had dropped.

"You can do it!" Undyne encouraged. "Don't let your guard down, and don't let yourself be vulnerable to attack!" She gripped the two branches tightly in her hands and ran towards him.

As Undyne went to knock him down again she felt a small tug on one of the branches. She looked to see Asriel with the branch in his paw, pulling in it with his paws planted firmly on the ground. There was a look of strain on his face. Undyne pulled the branch and watched him fall back.

"You've got the right idea, but you need to put more strength into pulling it away," Undyne said as she threw a branch into the air and caught it cleanly. "You did more harm to yourself than to me by doing that."

Asriel got knocked down several times, and was starting to get tired. After each time of falling he would struggle to catch his breath before getting up again. He noticed that Undyne was starting to move slower too. He didn't think it was because she was tired though. She was probably taking it down a notch for his sake. Eventually there was a time when she hadn't fully turned around to explain what he was doing wrong. He used this as an opportunity to get her from behind. He didn't realize the force he put into the attack though, and she lost one HP.

"I'm sorry!" Asriel apologized. "I didn't mean to do that!"

"It's fine," Undyne said. "I barely even felt anything! Good idea to attack from behind. That will be useful if you ever get in a real fight!"

Undyne looked nervously over at Papyrus. "But maybe our time should be up for today. We've been at it for a while and you still need to train with Papyrus."

Papyrus did a glare towards Asriel. "Your incompetence won't get you far. You made Undyne lose 1HP. You won't fight me unless you take her down." He folded his arms, not feeling empathy for Asriel, who looks like he's about to cry.

"If you quit today, you do not have the position to be king. No matter how tired you get, a KING would press on before taking the easy way out." Papyrus said bluntly then softened his voice towards Undyne. "Dear, do not go easy on him. I have seen you falter a little bit."

Undyne looked at Asriel sympathetically. "This was just his first practice. It's normal to make mistakes."

Papyrus gets flustered at Undyne. He can't ever argue with her and pouts in defeat.

Asriel felt really guilty for what he did. It was only 1HP, but it was still a mistake on his part. He couldn't cry in front of them though.

"Can I have another chance?" Asriel asked Papyrus. "I can do better! I know I can!"

"A-as long as you don't give up, you can keep going." Papyrus turned his back to hide the fact he lost his composure. He can feel Undyne grinning at him. "But remember, as you fight, keep in mind it's to defend your people and yourself."