Chapter 4

Age 8:

Her food business booming. A small building had been donated to her by the area's residents. Thus, she now had a more stable place to work and produce her apparently oh so yummy food. The neighbourhood had taken notice of the orphanages financial situation when Baria the year before. They had then worked together with the orphanage to save up enough money to both save the orphanage and pay for the furnishing of the small building for Baria. The small building that Baria now worked was of course only temporary and would need to paid for again at the end of two years. It was on loan after all. Well, that is until she earns enough to buy the actual building.

The orphanage started to rely on Baria as an income. Her little shop's income, minus the rent and budget for stock, became the sole reason for some of the kids being able to start going to school. However, it was mainly the older kids. The younger ones were still being home-schooled by the bigger kids. Now though, their home-schooling was a bit better. What with the older ones having a better understanding of what they previously knew.

Baria's life was once again peaceful. Excluding the occasional villain attacks. The damages to the orphanage wasn't as bad as before due to proper repairs. Nothing drastic happened.

It was only when Baria was eight that she had her very first crush. A bit late in some people opinions. It was also the one thing Baria didn't think would happen due to her emotional maturity (She did have ten and something years on just about everyone her age even if those memories were nearly gone and she could only remember bits and pieces of her last life).

Her crush was an older person. Or would it be people. The person she had a crush on, had a quirk that could change their gender. It really depended on how they felt that day. Bringing the term gender fluid to a whole new level. Didn't certainly didn't help Baria's poor confused head the first time she realized her crush was now male.

That had sent Baria into a very confusing time before she decided they were still the same person as before.

As far as Baria knew they were single and sweet and so cool. They often wore a leather jacket. It was the only way Baria had recognized them the first time of gender switching. They had black hair, that no matter which form they took, was always down to their waist. Their skin was tanned and freckled. Their smile, Oh! Baria just adored their smile. However, she never had the courage to talk to them. So, she followed them from a distance at times. Often, she blushed bright red when they walked into her small café or got caught following them. The matron found it adorable. The boys in the orphanage became overprotective, glaring at the person who made their pseudo sister blush and stutter. The girl's reaction varied. The younger ones looked disgusted, the older ones squealed and cooed. Her café costumers couldn't tell whether to be amused or mildly annoyed.

Her crush probably knew because they often saw Baria duck back behind tree's. Hence Baria was red more often than not.

They would smile and continue what they were doing as if they didn't see her. Baria could appreciate that. If they did anything else than she wasn't sure she would be able to handle a crush that might come after them.

Unfortunately, they moved away after three months. There was no really reason. Some rumours around the neighbourhood said that they were getting married or going on a honey moon. Others said it was a family matter.

Either way, it was Baria's first heartbreak. Not long after she found out they left, Baria cried for hours. She ended up eating two cakes by herself. She had a right too. She made the cakes. By then the girls and the matron of the orphanage didn't find it so cute anymore. Nor did they find it amusing. The younger girls were confused and just felt sorry.

Baria had ended up being cuddled by the boys for the next two nights. As in, blankets piled onto the middle of the floor. The blankets then formed into a nest and kids just dogpiling each other with Baria at the very bottom.

Thus, Baria continued on with her life. Her first heartbreak slowly being healed but never forgotten. A person's first love/crush is the most important one after all.

What Baria didn't know until many years later, was that her first crush ended up in a car crash a few days after they moved. That the break line had been cut. The diesel switched out with petrol. That her crush ended up in hospital with a concussion and several broken bones. She didn't know that her crush hadn't been switching genders for over a month. That her crush had been sending their twin brother in their place. That her crush had been pregnant.

Baria didn't know. She didn't realize that after the news came out within her crushes new neighbourhood, someone's lips split open. Pulled across one side of their mouth to the others. Teeth on full display. Satisfied but not overly cruel. The baby would survive. The heart of his saviour avenged and healing.

He couldn't wait until they met again. Properly. Face to face. In a way that she would have to remember.

His head pulsed. Boss was calling. He was going to obey his boss no matter what.

His bosses will was his own...literally. A hive mind with boss as the queen. He couldn't wait for boss to meet the little lady. He would either adore her or kill her. Maybe even both. However little lady would need to be older. Much older. Like a ripening fruit. Boss only likes the perfectly ripe type. Any other didn't last long. They never did when they ripe either. However, boss usually ended up getting his fill. By any means necessary.