Chapter 45.) August 1993

"I know you've been working to get your kids back and I'm trying to work with you Ms. Hill, but if you can't even take a simple urine test what is there for me to do?" Jenna questioned the obviously annoyed mother.

        She's been a social worker all of two-years and she has seen more damage than good and it broke her pure spirit. There wasn't a day that gone by where someone wasn't ready to curse her out or try to fight her.

She was fine with getting cursed out, those were just words, but let someone look to even flinch the wrong way and they would be standing at heaven's gate waiting on the lord.

        "You know as good as I do that if I take that test I'm going to fail."

        Shaking her head, Jenna placed her pen down and stared at Ms. Hill for a moment before lifting a brow. "Do you really want your kids back?"

        "You know I do Jenna, I've been coming to you for a damn year," she sassed and Jenna's head cocked like a pistol.

        "If you were serious about getting your kids, you would have stayed in rehab, if you were serious about getting your kids back, you would stop buying drugs from the corner boys. Did you forget that I keep tabs on all my clients? You aren't ready for them yet and I'm not sending them back to you."

        "EXCUSE ME!" She jumped up with her nostrils flaring and Jenna only stared blankly at the woman.

        "You burned your daughter with the hot comb three times. Your six-year-old son was hospitalized for swallowing your pain meds... you're a danger to them and your outburst just proved it. Now, when you come in here two weeks from now, I want you ready to take the urine test and I need your attitude in better tact." The look in Jenna's eyes showed that meant business and if Ms. Hill thought to try her hand at attacking, Jenna had no issue with putting her on her ass.

        "To one black woman to another, this how you're gonna do me?" Jenna was appalled by that statement, it even tickled her a bit that she tried to race-bait her.

        "To one black woman to another, you should want better for your children. Good day, Ms. Hill." Jenna pointed toward the door.

        Shaking her head, she picked up her purse, and license then stormed out of the office.

        "She couldn't take the test again?" Rylie, a colleague of Jenna's queried, peeking inside.

        "Nope, she has the same excuse every damn time, but I think she might change this go-round I got a feeling," she replied, cutting the volume to the tv up when she saw 2Pac on the screen.

        "That man is just as fine as ever," Rylie muttered and Jenna chuckled.

        "Girl, what you know about fine?"

        Jenna loved her career and coworkers, but she never really tried to make friends with anyone there. She knew she would not be there for long because she had planned on opening her own business, but Rylie was good company.

A true southern girl, but swore up and down that her ass was supposed to come out of a black woman's coochie.