chapter 17

Haru had seemed troubled

Haru had seemed troubled. He had stayed up the entire night. Yeonha had seen the light in his room stay switched on when she woke up at 2AM due to her dreams/memories. Before getting water for her parched throat, Yeonha stood outside Haru's room, contemplating on whether to knock and ask if he were alright but finally decided against it.

The next morning, he had hurried to Jinmichae's quarters by the dining hall, saying that he had to talk to the man. Yeonha had nodded and walked to her class, where her not so happy looking classmates glared at her.

"What?" Yeonha scowled at them, stomping towards her seat, "Don't look at me like that. I had nothing to do with yesterday's party."

"You mean to say," Pervert Taek said, turning completely to face her, "You were okay with the idea of marrying Oh Namju?"

"Engaged to Oh Namju, and no. I just want to mind my own damn business and stay with my family, man." She groaned as Jung patted her shoulder in a pitying manner, "I haven't seen my little brother in days. And...I'll be honest with everyone. I remember the past so I know better than to mess with the storyline. I'm fine with the drama going on as long as I get to be me in the Shadow." Yeonha made eye contact with the class representative―the General she had decided to call her―and frowned at the pitiful look she got in return, "Stop feeling sorry for me, jeez."

"You don't understand," The General shook her head, "Even if it's Eun Danoh or Lee Dohwa or your brother who changes the Stage, it's going to affect all of us. It is sort of like the Butterfly effect. Before, in 'Trumpet Creeper', because of your brother and Eun Danoh, Madam Bom―"

The said girl let out a huge laugh to distract the class, "Why don't we just leave things at this? No need to ruin the ambience of our classroom by being so dark and negative. Let's all have a good day at school today!"

The General regarded the girl quietly before bowing a little, "As you wish."

Yeonha was taken aback by the formality, and turned towards her friend, whispering, "Why is she calling you 'madam'?"

"I'm one of the senior most when it comes to the characters." Bom waved it off, "They respect Jung, too."

As the boy leaned back into his seat with a smug look on his face, Taek let out a scoff and mumbled under his breath. Jung called out with his nostrils flared.

"What was that, Byuntaek?"

"Making a pun by adding my name to pervert? How original, you rheumatic geezer."

"Are you trying to pick a fight?"

"Why would I pick a fight with an old man like you?"

Both the boys continued to throw insults at each other as the rest of the class returned to their conversations. It was as if this was an everyday occurrence for them. Bom massaged the bridge of her nose as Yeonha looked back and forth between the boys with raised eyebrows.