chapter 32

Jiho squinted up suspiciously at Haru, who had offered her a piggyback ride home

Jiho squinted up suspiciously at Haru, who had offered her a piggyback ride home. "What's the catch?" She asked, dubiously, "And why are you smiling at me like that?"

Haru looked offended. She had always liked it when he used to carry her on his back. "What does that mean? I always smile at you!" Haru insisted.

She crossed her arms, turning away to look at her older sister, who was by the gym entrance. Oh Namju was rolling his eyes at Yeonha as he shoved a bouquet of yellow and violet flowers in her hands. Yeonha looked surprised for a second before nodding and bidding him goodbye. As the girl walked towards her siblings, Namju smiled widely and waved at Jiho.

"He won't come with us?" Jiho asked as Yeonha motioned for them to leave.

"No," Yeonha replied, rotating her shoulder backwards, "He's got some...stuff to take care of. Come on, let's go." She offered Jiho her hand to hold out of habit but the younger girl stared at her with the same expression she had given Haru.

"There's something very wrong with both of you today." Jiho began to power walk away, her shoulder length dark hair swaying dramatically.

Yeonha sent a questioning look at Haru. He shrugged, turning the conversation towards her match. She had won, obviously, and Namju had come to watch her match on orders from his mother. That's what he had told her outside the gym. They had to keep up their appearances after all.

"Dad said he'll take us out for dinner today." Haru told her, "To celebrate. Do you want me to carry your kitbag for you? You must be tired."

She waved him off, "No, it's alright. I just need sleep. I've had a very, very long day."

Her back ached. Her shoulders ached. If she were to twist her torso or rotate her arms, Yeonha was sure that her bones would crack. It took everything in her to not strip off her jersey right there and stick muscle patches all over her body. The hospital wasn't very far from their school so Yeonha didn't mind the walk. She was, however, bothered by the fact that Haru couldn't speak or understand French.

"What do you mean you don't understand it?" She demanded, readjusting the strap of her bag over her shoulder. "I've seen you talk to mom."

Haru sulked, "Mom sometimes says stuff and I just laugh and nod. Usually she doesn't notice. I don't think the Writer gave me a detailed background. I'm not very good at English either."

"No way!"

She offered to tutor him as exams were right around the corner. Haru blushed before admitting that Danoh had already stated firmly that she would help him. Yeonha teased him about the girl until they reached the hospital where their dad was waiting (and until Jiho turned around and stared at them strangely because the twins never got along so what was wrong with them today?)

Haru was blushing and laughing, jokingly tugging at Jiho's hair as she scowled at her older siblings. He looked up just before crossing the road to the hospital entrance and froze, all the liveliness disappearing from his face. Yeonha followed his gaze.