chapter 19

Jung, her apprentice, had hurried inside her working quarters, looking stressed

Jung, her apprentice, had hurried inside her working quarters, looking stressed. He bowed once Yeonha turned to him with a curious gaze.

"What is it?" The woman asked, putting away her reading material, "Why do you look so worried, Jung-ah?

He looked over his shoulder, before facing her again. "The Second Prince is on his way here, Madam." The young man informed, "There was a training mishap and His Highness was injured."

He must've gotten hurt during a spar again. Yeonha sighed, "Jung, were you out spying again?"

"I can't help it. It's in my nature. Madam Han, you should ready your medicine and tools. Who knows how the Temperamental Prince might react at the slightest snag."

"Don't call him that." Yeonha chided.

Jung scurried to the room in the back. "Oh, I forgot. He has a soft spot for our Madam." He teased, while unrolling a mat on the four-poster bed. "The Prince keeps getting injured. It's like he wants an excuse to see you."

"Keep your voice down! What if someone hears you?"

As Yeonha got up from her spot by the window to prepare herself for the patient, a number of soldiers burst in and positioned themselves around the room, by the walls. The King's advisor, who seemed somewhat familiar, strode in followed by Haru. Yeonha's brother had his arm around a wounded Prince Kyung, who clutched his bleeding side. He was gritting his teeth in pain.

"Physician Han―" Before the Advisor could speak further, the woman interrupted him.

Gesturing at the back of the room, Yeonha said, "Haru, please lead the Prince inside. Let's not waste time on pleasantries." With a withering glance at the Advisor, who sneered at her with contempt, the physician turned and walked further inside the building.

"Send the guards away." The Prince demanded, as Haru assisted him into sitting down. "There's no need for them to be here."

"Jung, help the Prince take off his tunic." Yeonha ignored the Advisor's protests, which had arisen the moment he had heard the Prince's demands.

Prince Kyung swatted Jung's hands away, "I do not require assistance. It's just a scratch. Advisor Kim, did you not hear me?"

The man looked uncertain, "Sire, I cannot leave you with this woman"

"This woman," The Prince snapped, "is more trustworthy than anyone in the Kingdom. You will take the guards and leave."

A blushing Yeonha caught Jung's eyes, who merely rolled his at her behaviour. The woman busied herself with nursing the cut on the Second Prince's waist. The apprentice sneakily tugged at Haru's sleeve, pulling him out of the quarters with a grin. Haru was very hesitant to leave his sister alone with the Prince. The man's temper was well-known, after all.