chapter 34

Yeonha fumed as she flipped through the pages of Secret, catching up with everything that had happened

Yeonha fumed as she flipped through the pages of Secret, catching up with everything that had happened. Stupid cow, she glared at the picture of Namju's mother, I can't believe I'm being judged by the ugliest soul in the manhwa. No. Scratch that. Second ugliest.

Cha Jihyun had talked snidely about her to her sons and husband. While nobody in the school had the same social status as Han Yeonha, the woman wasn't exactly fond of her 'delinquent-like hobbies' as she put it mildly. Unlady-like, but not to worry. We can fix her. I shall turn her into someone worthy of you, Namju-ya.

The boy had mumbled out of earshot that there was nothing wrong with Yeonha, something she was grateful about.

"What secret does that bitch keep threatening him with?" Yeonha wondered out loud, turning a page, "Heh, who cares. The next time I see her, I will fuck her up. I swear to―Unlady-like, really. I'll show her my unladyness. I should boycott her company. Yeah, 80 percent of her designs are mom's anyway."

She put the book on the table and glanced up for a fraction of a second. Baek Joonhyun stared back from across her. Yeonha gasped in fright, flinching violently in her chair.

"Quiet in the library." The boy chided her.

"Yah―you―don't―you be quiet in the damn library." She scowled at him.

He folded his hands over the table, "I see you're reading the manhwa. Is it enjoyable? I usually try not to bother myself with it."

"As if." Yeonha rolled her eyes, "The girls in the school hate me. Oh Namju doesn't want anything to do with me. His mother thinks I'm a thug. The tabloids are calling me a gold-digger because my brother is going to inherit the hospital and who knows what else and I'll be left with nothing so I might as well seduce a chaebol. Which reminds me, Haru calls me names on Stage and it is hurtful and despite the fact that he immediately apologizes, I stay up thinking about it. What else?" She missed the way Joonhyun groaned. Like he regretted asking. "Oh yeah, in the Shadow, your bastard driver is out to kill me. The slightest change in the Stage has begun to make me puke blood. And the entire stability of the world depends on me."

He stared at her in exasperation for quite some time before saying, "It was a simple yes or no question. I did not ask about your troubles."

The corners of her mouth twitched. "Dickhead." She pushed the book aside, "Are you here to lecture me about staying away from your brother or to convince Haru to stop changing the Stage?"

"On the contrary," Joonhyun said with a pleasant expression, "I'm glad that you were stubborn about some things. Hyung seems relatively happier these days. He stays as far away as he can from dad. Doesn't make any snide remarks at my mom. He did go missing for a whole day a couple of days ago. Do you know anything about that?"

Yeonha shook her head once, "No―o. I...don't think I do...Nope. It had nothing to do with me." She scrunched her nose.

The boy gaped at her before turning red, "Gross. Why―Gross, I shouldn't have asked―" He pressed his palms over his ears.