chapter 44

Coach was super pissed when she turned up at the school gym the next morning.

With every furious word that left his mouth, his volume increased. Yeonha flinched, bowing her head while apologizing over and over again.

"—THE ABSOLUTE NERVE OF YOU TO SHOW UP AFTER THREE DAYS OF UNNOTIFIED ABSENCE—"

"I'm sorry, coach."

"—DID YOU FORGET YOU HAVE AN IMPORTANT MATCH THIS SATURDAY OR WERE YOU TOO BUSY STARING AT THE DAMN RING ON YOUR FINGER—"

From the audience that had gathered in the gym, someone meekly spoke up, "Go easy on her, coach. There's no ring. She got dumped by her fiance in front of a couple hundred people."

"—GETTING DUMPED DOESN'T MEAN YOU MISS TRAINING. EIGHT EXTRA LAPS AROUND THE FIELD, HAN YEONHA!"

Yeonha nodded vigorously and got right to it. The rest of the students walked past her, shooting her sympathetic looks. She followed them out of the gym, to the field, while zipping up her blue tracksuit.

The running wasn't the worst part of her morning. It was the rest of the training regime the coach had set for her. Every part of her body screamed at the familiar pain coursing through her. Yeonha nearly cried in the shower, while standing under the hot water. She dragged her tired feet to her class, only to hear the turning of a page.

Sagak.

They didn't try to hide the fact that they were whispering and gossiping about her, the students. Stage Yeonha heard almost every single thing they were saying about her. The cutting remarks hurt, but she didn't let it show on her face.

What was that? 'Attention seeker'? You littlewhich one of us put on that horrendous shade of eyeshadow during the school trip with the expectations that Oh Namju would fall head over heels for her? 'Gold digger'? Really? I'm a fucking heiressoh shit, wait. Not anymore. That's Haru. What do you mean I'm shameless enough to show my face here? It's school! I go hereI saw that, you pitiful looking pastry!

She felt someone grab her wrist and whirl her around just as she had reached her classroom. Dohwa's face was beaming at her, looking immensely relieved. Her Stage self's face heated up. The confident front she had put up in the hallway began to crumble.

"You're back!" He exclaimed, "I—I'm so glad—I couldn't reach you on your phone and—and I came by your house but Jiho said you were sick. Yeonha, are you okay?" The girl stared intensely at his grip on her hand. Assuming that she felt uncomfortable, he hurriedly let her go, "Sorry. I'm just...so happy to see you."

"I don't mind." She blurted and he raised his eyebrows in surprise. "I feel fine now," She continued, "It was a small fever. That's...that's all."

"About last weekend..." Dohwa began but she cut him off.