chapter 28

He had every intention of walking to school together with Yeonha

He had every intention of walking to school together with Yeonha. Kyung wanted to spend time with her more than anyone else because one, the Writer was screwed in the head. They were unpredictable as fuck and Kyung didn't know when things might go to hell (So much for a romance manhwa). He'd rather make most of what he had. And two, who else would he stay with? The A3 weren't really friends outside the school. Danoh, well, he wouldn't say he could care less about her because he didn't. They had been close in the past.

Now, she felt like a stranger.

A stranger he shared some of the fondest memories of his life so far.

Joonhyun could go to hell for all he knew. The girls from his class? Yeah, right. Over his dead body. (Kyung tried not to think that Yeonha would make sure of it) Christ, he really didn't have any friends, did he?

Besides, for some time now, Yeonha had been feeling deeply perturbed by something or someone. It wasn't very obvious at first, but he had noticed her periodically looking over her shoulder while wringing her wrists. The girl seemed to be vigilant of her surroundings to the extent that it seemed like borderline paranoia. He was worried.

So Kyung grit his teeth, cursing out the Writer, when he blinked and found himself at Danoh's doorstep. She was surprised to see him. As Danoh grabbed her school bag, he reminded her to carry her pills as well.

"You still have this." He picked up a photo frame off the shelf. It was of the two of them from a decade ago, when Danoh practically lived in the hospital and Kyung was glued to her side. From Christmas. "You never did take your medicines until I did that spell, did you? Bibbidi bobbidi boo." He snickered to himself, making Danoh look at him strangely, "It's like a lifetime ago."

"You still remember it?" She asked, peering at the picture fondly, "Back then you were nicer to me."

Kyung placed the picture back, "I was, wasn't I? I didn't resent the world as much as I do today." Before Danoh could ask what he meant, he was out of the door, "Hurry up. I won't wait for you."

She made him take a detour to the park, where she swung on the swing. As always, Danoh talked and Kyung listened. The girl was tired of taking so many pills. And it had been going on for years now.

"Is it really that difficult?" He asked, eyeing the swing he was on with uncertainty.

"You try it for the next ten years." Danoh let out a little whoop as she swung higher, "I'm sick and tired of these pills. I've had dreams of piling them up and setting them on fire."

He hummed in thought, "You always gave the nurses and doctors a hard time whenever you had to take it."

Danoh stopped swinging, smiling lightly, "You remember that too?"

"Sure I do. I had to recite the spell almost every day, didn't I?" He looked at her, feeling strangely nostalgic, "You wanted a healthy heart instead of a golden carriage like Cinderella when the Fairy Godmother said it. I wasn't really a Fairy Godmother―didn't look the part," Kyung scoffed at himself, "but I wanted it to work as well. You also said that you felt healthier after so that I wouldn't be upset."