chapter 39

Kyung was agitated

Kyung was agitated.

According to the calendar, it had been days since he last saw Yeonha or even heard her voice. He was trapped in the hospital, sitting by a semi-conscious Eun Danoh. His phone was out of service. He had no means to contact her and no way of knowing that Yeonha was okay.

As many times as he could, he tried to catch a glimpse of her at school. But the moment his classes for the day ended, he was forced to rush to the hospital with flowers in his hand.

Stage Kyung sat next to Danoh everyday, fearing that it would be her final day. He tried to nudge her awake by reaching for her hand but froze. It was too painful. This was too painful. Watching Danoh reminded him of when his mother was sick. He nearly crumpled the piece of paper that said 'only you know how I feel'.

Offhandedly, his Real self wondered how different things would've been had he just told Danoh what the flowers meant.

Once the Stage ended, he stumbled back and tried to regulate his breathing. She's going to wake up, he reminded himself, Eun Danoh is going to live. And when I go back to Yeonha, she will still remember me.

The noise of the page turning had begun to grate his ears. As Kyung leaned back into the couch, zoning out at the heart monitor, he wondered if he could ever reach out of the manhwa and fucking cuff the Writer in the face. The answer was an obvious no but there was a warped sense of satisfaction that he felt, imagining a blank face and then beating the shit out of it.

Sagak.

He swung his school bag over his shoulder and walked out of the class with his head down. The boy fought to turn around and rush to wherever Yeonha was. He searched for her in the corridors, out in the gardens, at the track field, wherever the Writer was taking him. But she was nowhere to be found.

Sagak.

Dohwa's brother stepped out of the room after a routine check up. The man thumped him on the shoulder in goodwill, "You can go in now."

Kyung bowed his head, "Thank you, hyung." He didn't miss the way Lee Johwa sent him a pitying glance.

Sagak.

Danoh's father smiled at him with gratitude for not leaving his daughter's side. He waved it off. His own father beamed, patting him in the back. Once the Stage ended, Kyung furiously ripped himself away from the man's grasp. As he stormed off to the nearest elevator, he thought he heard someone call for him and immediately turned.

Sagak.

Eun Danoh still hadn't woken up and they were nearing the end of the month. Or maybe she had and he wasn't here then.

A month. He had been separated from Yeonha for a month. She must have won her match by now and would have qualified for the semi-finals. Was she anxious too? Like he was?