chapter 43

Kyung was beyond angry and hurt as he strode down the street

Kyung was beyond angry and hurt as he strode down the street. Damn his shitty father. Damn that other woman and damn her annoying runt of a—

"Hyung! Wait—hyung!" He closed his eyes in irritation as Joonhyun raced towards him. The boy stopped an arm's length away, looking quite apologetic, "I'm sorry about earlier."

"Forget it." Kyung snapped, taking a step away. Joonhyun reached out to grab his arm.

"I don't think they're acting like this because they want to."

The seventeen year old snarled, tearing himself out of his grip, "What the hell do you know? In between the scenes, do you even know how damn lonely I was? If it wasn't for—"

Joonhyun smiled a tiny, bitter smile, "I know. Believe me I do. And I'm glad you two have each other." He peered over Kyung's shoulder, making the latter follow his gaze, "I'm really...sorry for everything. I'll see you later, hyung." The boy left just as fast as he had arrived, back home where his parents were waiting.

"Yah, what—wait—!" Kyung called after him, thoroughly confused by what he had said. Brushing it off, he turned around to where Yeonha was waiting at the end of the street.

She was fidgeting with the collar of her high neck sweater while uncertainty staring at the bunch of peonies in her hand. He wondered offhandedly if she was going to skip today as well. Yeonha looked up at the sound of footsteps, dusting her palms on her dark jeans.

Kyung shoved his hands into his pocket, trying not to look surprised, "What are you doing here?"

"I...was..." she struggled to find the right words, "wondering if you—you know, wanted company."

He frowned, "For what?"

"To visit your mom." Then she hastily added, "Or—wait, I should probably ask you if you'd rather want to go alone. I should've asked you last night. What was I thinking—"

"Yeonha." He interrupted her outburst and took hold of her free hand, "I'd like it if you would come with me."

"Okay." She nodded in relief, "Are the flowers okay? It's not a grand bouquet because they usually seem off to me and I had to ask the florist since I don't know much about them."

Kyung let out an amused chuckle, "Why are you so worried?"

"It's your mom." Yeonha emphasized, "She's really important to you and I don't want to screw this up. I have a knack for pissing off parents."

Her heart twisted in a good-painful manner as his features softened. He embraced her with one arm, hand behind her head. "You won't." He assured her, kissing her temple. She still couldn't wave off the nervousness.

They walked, hand in hand, in silence to the grave site. It was quite a distance from their neighbourhood. Yeonha stopped short, just before they reached the curved columbarium.