chapter 30

Bom looked out the kitchen windows with her arms crossed, at Haru, Danoh and Dohwa

Bom looked out the kitchen windows with her arms crossed, at Haru, Danoh and Dohwa. The trio were huddled together on a picnic table, laughing and celebrating the fact that Haru had his memories back. She grimaced at the sight. Bom wasn't against the kids being happy but things were more askew now than she had ever seen or experienced before.

Jinmichae stood behind her, observing her reaction. "I tried to stop them," He said, dejectedly, "I don't know how things will play out after this."

The girl turned around, smiling lightly, "They're teenagers, Jinmi. You tell them they can't do something, they'll show you that they can. Don't hold it against them. We shouldn't stand in the way of their happiness."

"Not at the cost of others." He replied without missing a beat, "Changing the Stage has consequences. You know that more than anyone to ever exist."

"If it's meant to, it's meant to be." Bom walked past him, taking in the room, "I can't, however, shake off the feeling that something is going to go terribly wrong."

The blond frowned, "What do you mean?"

She hummed in thought, "Has Yeonha told you about Advisor Kim? Ah, by your expression, I take it that's a no." Taking a seat on one of the chairs, Bom explained, "You remember how that man, along with many others from your Royal Court, despised Healer Han? Advisor Kim's hatred followed him into this world and he's been trying to find ways to attack Yeonha."

"She's never told me this!" Jinmichae cried, "Since when?"

"I don't know." Bom answered truthfully, "So far he has managed to attack her at school, and has followed her home. He also broke into her room once but Jung has someone from our class placed on lookout."

He contemplated over the news before replying, "And you're worried that if he manages to...kill her, the manhwa will-"

"No," She shook her head, "I mean, yes, that too. But...I'm worried that he'll realize that he can slip in between Stages. If that man does something drastic, it can't be undone. The Writer might decide to abandon this world. Or he may erase someone permanently." The 'Like the last time' went unsaid.

They fell silent for about a minute or so until Bom posed a question while gesturing at him to sit across her.

"Do you miss her?"

His face didn't betray a single emotion when he replied that he didn't want to talk about it.

Bom clasped her hand together and placed them over her lap, "I do." She admitted, the corners of her mouth turning slightly upwards, "She wasn't my first family whom I lost but I loved her all the same." She met Jinmichae's hesitant gaze, "Soohyang-unnie risked her life for me everyday by coming back to the mountain to check on me."

"She was..." He gulped, arms folded over the table, "very brave."

Chuckling, the witch said, "Yes. And she was much more than just brave. You would know. You had more time with her than I did." When he didn't reply, Bom reached out to lay a comforting hand over his, "I don't mean to blame you at all. And I don't think she would, either. Soohyang-unnie loved you so much, Jinmi. "