chapter 36

Though she was glad that she had run into Namju, she could only hope that he and Jiho hadn't ignored her instructions, and followed her instead

'Zig-zag. I need to zig-zag so he doesn't―' Yeonha flinched at the way she narrowly missed the bullet that lodged itself in the wooden pillar next to her. She repeated the phrase over and over again. But in an enclosed place like the library, where could she possibly run?

Yeonha hid herself amongst the shelves. She had half a mind to sprint up the stairs, but what if he shot her ('oh my fucking god, he has a gun!') midway? Or cornered her on the first floor?

The library was deathly silent. Her heart was pounding so loud that Yeonha feared the advisor would know where she was based on just the sound. Maybe that's why she couldn't hear his footsteps. The thumping against her ribcage was deafening. She snuck a peek from behind one of the shelves and froze.

Kim brought the sword down, throwing her off guard. Yeonha barely managed to avoid it as the tip of the sword grazed her collar. She pushed the shelf as hard as she could. The books on the top fell first, making him yell in rage, but that didn't do much damage.

She could hardly pay attention to the domino effect of shelves that she had set off.

"Where the fuck did the bigass gun go?" Yeonha demanded, wondering what all weapons he had on him. Dialogue usually distracts people during a fight scene, right? She stumbled back against a table, dreading the way Kim thrust the sword forward. 'Guess not.'

She stared wide eyed as the blade glitched just as it made contact with her. Now the end of the rifle was pressed against her shoulder. Thinking on her feet (literally), Yeonha slammed her knee as harshly as she could into the man's diaphragm.

As he faltered, she jabbed him in the throat, making him wheeze. No matter how she attacked him, Kim wouldn't let go of the sword/rifle. Yeonha tried to wrestle it out of his hands, but as it was pointed towards the ceiling, he fired it without care.

Yeonha hissed, ripping her hands off the burning barrel. Kim slammed the butt of the gun violently on her cheekbone. She crashed onto the floor as her face exploded with pain. Through blurry eyes, she managed to roll away just in time for the sword to pierce the floor.

Kim tried to pull out the weapon. He looked deranged this time, without his signature glasses, desperate to finish her off. Swearing and sputtering, he lurched forward and fiercely hacked at Yeonha. He cut into her bicep, through her sleeve.

Her hand flew over the wound as blood dripped down her arm.

"Isn't it unfair that you're fighting an unarmed person?" She snapped, gritting her teeth at the stinging sensation.

The man let out a maniacal laugh before sneering, "Unfair? I should've slit your throat in your sleep but that damned spy kept turning up. We should have poisoned you like we did your father."