chapter 23

"Let's just kill him before he gets to you

"Let's just kill him before he gets to you."

The silence that followed Bom's declaration was deafening to say the least. Jung and Yeonha stared at her, mouths in the shape of an 'O'. They hadn't expected her to, well, not beat around the bush.

Bom continued to stare at the students running around the soccer field. "I'm serious," She said, "If Advisor―no, Driver Kim really wants to hurt you, we should end it before it escalates."

Yeonha pressed her palms together in front of her and inhaled, pointing at her friend, "Bom-ah. I wholeheartedly believe in violence*. But killing someone - it's on a different level altogether."

"I mean," Jung piped in, "You were an assassin and all but yeah, I don't think characters from an innocent romance manhwa should go around killing people. It doesn't fit the aesthetic. However" He added, "Even if we do kill him―I said if we do, Yeonha―it's not like he'll disappear. He just won't be aware anymore."

The taller girl sputtered at the nonchalance of her friends. Busted lips and broken noses, Yeonha could understand. Murder? No way. No fucking way. Taking another human's life was just...heinous. Evil. And Driver Kim could try as much as he could, but Yeonha was stubborn and strong enough to protect herself.

"Why is he after me anyway?" She asked, crossing her arms, "I have like two memories of him from the past."

Her friends exchanged unreadable glances before Jung broke into a grin. "That man was a bit of an idiot." He said, "His advice was usually―and I say this as nicely as I can―very shitty. He wouldn't say the wrong stuff, but it would be mediocre. Kim had little understanding of business and politics. You used to oppose him and his ideas. And honestly, the King and the First Prince would listen to your advice over him."

"Makes me wonder," Bom hummed, toying with her charm bracelet, "why was that man a part of the court in the first place?"

Jung couldn't contain his glee, "Oh, Kim used to turn red with rage every time he saw Yeonha and her medikit. He was the laughing stock of the court after a point."

Yeonha blinked, "You mean, I was a bully?"

"I wouldn't say it like that." He replied, "You were smarter than any man in the King's court, and that didn't sit well with many officials. Particularly Kim. He expressed his wish to see you dead multiple times."

"What the f―" She wheezed, "That man wants me dead because I was a bully?"

"I just said―"

"This is terrible!" Yeonha wailed, "Granted I slammed his face on the floor and kicked him in the crotch multiple times―"

"Uh, you what now?"

"―but he's still out for my blood. And all because I made fun of him!" The girl turned her face to the sky and pointed a threatening finger, "Stupid, shitty Writer. You son of a bitch― I swear to God, if by any chance I come across you, I will bury you alive―"