chapter 52

Jung had given them all the strict command of 'clear the fuck off' as he tried to treat a severely poisoned Yeonha

Jung had given them all the strict command of 'clear the fuck off' as he tried to treat a severely poisoned Yeonha. He had even kicked Taek out of Jinmichae's room, making him sit glumly with the others.

Jinmichae himself looked as if he wanted to disappear. The guilt on his face made Haru feel uneasy. And Bom— she seemed placid but every now and then, her eyes would flicker towards him, frightening the hell out of the boy.

All Haru had seen was his sister collapse while coughing blood. Nobody told him anything else. The sight seemed so familiar, as if he had lived through it once before. He must have. That was kind of a given these days, wasn't it?

As Yeonha grappled to breathe, he had let out a panicked yell. Bom, the tiny thing that she was, had harshly pushed him aside.

"You've done enough damage." She had snapped, blocking his path so that he didn't interfere with whatever Jung had begun to do. Her tone had caught him off guard. Haru knew she and Taek didn't like him but he was yet to figure out why.

He paced around the kitchen area, waiting and trying to listen to the whisper of a conversation happening between Jinmichae and Taek. It took Jung about twenty minutes to step out of the room.

"There's nothing here that can act as a cure," He told them, eyeing Jinmichae who shrunk into himself, "But I've stabilized her by removing as much poison as I can. I need to keep an eye on her until the Stage changes, which should be soon considering she needs to go home."

"What happened to her?" Haru demanded, "Who did this—"

Nobody knew that Bom could sneer as viciously as she did at him, "Did she not tell you?"

He took a step back from her, confused, "No, I—" and then he froze. Oh. Is that what she had been trying to say yesterday when they had been interrupted due to a Stage? When she told him to stop?

The scar on his hand stung, making him look down at it. The image of Eun Danoh dying in his arms flashed across his eyes.

"That book," Haru turned to Jinmichae, "'Trumpet Creeper'— tell me the story isn't unfolding in this world." When nobody replied, he repeated in desperation, "Tell me it isn't!" His voice shook and fear gripped him, "No...my memories...everything I saw in my memories—"

"—is repeating, isn't it?" Jinmichae glanced at him, "The reason you look like this is because you keep seeing Eun Danoh's death, isn't it?"

Bom clicked her tongue before looking away from them.

"Just like in 'Trumpet Creeper', you can't stop her from dying." The blond continued, "You need to let it go, Haru."

"How can I!?" The boy yelled.

"Why?" Bom crossed her arms, staring straight at him through her glasses, "Do you think you're the first one to challenge the Writer? Do you think you're the only one who might lose someone because of the story? No, we've all been in your place. We all thought we could 'change our fate'."