chapter 46

"Don't look at it like that

"Don't look at it like that." Yeonha covered the bandaid under her eye, "I asked for a Bulbasaur but I got stuck with this."

Kyung raised an eyebrow at her, "No. I was just wondering what happened."

He had heard about the Cha Jihyun fiasco from Dohwa. Word spread fast, anyway. The whole school knew about it before lunch. And the things the students had been saying...It had taken a tremendous amount of self control on Kyung's part to refrain from breaking the jaws of those jokers who had taken to calling themselves 'Y3'.

Yeonha leaned back on the stone from where she was sitting, looking up at the ivy covered roof over them. Her meltdown had subsided a while after the two arrived at the secret garden. "My Class Rep attacked me while I was talking to Jinmichae." She said, "Don't worry. It wasn't that bad. All they had were threats and warnings while I had a knife."

Scowling, he turned her face towards him and grazed his thumb over the bandaid. "I'm sure they weren't the ones with bruises on them."

She shoved him lightly, "Don't be so snarky. You're supposed to comfort me. It's been a disgustingly long day for me."

Kyung put an arm around her shoulders, and sighed and said, "What am I going to do about you?"

Her fond smile faded within moments. She buried her face in her palms, "Oh, God. I had a match tomorrow. I practically handed my opponent the victory—the coach is going to be so mad. What are my parents going to say? My mom's going to lose it. It took so much to convince her that I'll fix everything. I can't—I don't want to go home now."

The vibrating of her phone from the side of her skirt interrupted her cries. She shut down the alarm and set her it to the side, searching the other pocket.

Absentmindedly glancing at the device's screen, Kyung furrowed his brows, "That's—you have my photo on your phone."

"Yeah. I changed my lockscreen."

"Why?"

"I like looking at you."

The sentence pleased him a little too much for his liking. Why? He wanted to ask again. There wasn't anything special about the picture. It was from a few weeks ago, when he was waiting for her on a park bench for one of their impromptu dates. He had one leg crossed over the other, as he scrolled through his own phone. Kyung didn't even know she had taken the photo. However, seeing his face on the screen instead of that blasted actor certainly was pleasing.

He opened his mouth to reply only to stop when Yeonha shook a tic tac box over her palm. "...You set a reminder to eat mints?" He asked, narrowing his eyes in disbelief.

"Don't be silly." She said, before popping one of the 'mints'. "They're birth control pills."

"They're...what?" Kyung had a blank look on his face but Yeonha knew what she had said had thrown him completely off guard.