chapter 37

Madeline Park was leaving for Lyon in the evening

Madeline Park was leaving for Lyon in the evening. She wasn't going to be back for a month. So when she decided to cancel their family lunch because Oh Namju had called to meet with her daughter, Stage Haru was not happy.

"I can ask him to postpone." Yeonha reasoned as the boy glared at her. Her Real self felt restless. She hadn't spoken to Kyung for nearly an entire day.

"Nonsense." Her mother slapped away the girl's fingers as they tried to remove her dangling earrings, "He's your fiance. He should be able to see you any time he likes."

Yeah, how about no?

Haru fumed, "Can't we just leave her out? Mom, you'll be gone for a long time."

"Darling," The woman sighed, doing up Yeonha's hair as the girl sat in front of her vanity mirror, "how can we go out as a family when one of us is missing? It's just a month. I've talked it over with your father and he agrees. We can arrange something once I'm back⏤ there! You look wonderful, sweetheart." Madeline said lovingly, patting Yeonha's bare shoulder.

Yeonha had been forced into an olive coloured strapless dress for her brunch date. No matter how much she tugged at its hems, the fabric would not stretch beyond her thighs. The thought of wearing tights underneath gave her a shred of comfort. Much of her neckline was exposed as well, and Yeonha was dying to untwist her long hair to cover herself. Her mother would probably kill her but she'd choose that over flashing her cleavage to the public any day.

Leaning by the door of the bedroom, Haru scowled, "Who cares if she's missing? She doesn't give a damn about us anyway⏤"

"Haru!"

"⏤not everything has to be about her." He raised his voice over Madeline's, and stalked off, slamming the door behind him.

Shaking her head, the older woman wondered out loud, "I don't understand why that boy behaves in such a manner. You two are supposed to be twins. Two halves of a whole."

"I know he means well." Stage Yeonha forced a smile. Bitch, not the Writer's version of him. "There's just a...communication gap between us. I'll fix it."

"Mm, see to it that you do." Madeline examined her daughter's makeup and nodded in approval.

Sagak.

Yeonha's arms flew over her chest as she stood up to find her coat. Her mother tutted, "You better not wear that thing during brunch with Namju. And don't wear flats but don't wear the larger heels either. You don't want to appear taller than him."

Rolling her eyes, Yeonha nodded as her mother dictated the same list of dos and don'ts that she had heard multiple times before her every outing with Namju. They were interrupted by the slight creaking of the door. Haru stuck his head back in.