chapter 40

Wearing the dress in a small office, in front of a team of six, was one thing

Wearing the dress in a small office, in front of a team of six, was one thing. Wearing it in front of a crowd of around a hundred (and Yeonha knew she was highly underestimating the numbers) was something different altogether. Everytime Yeonha tried to open her hair so that it shrouded her upper body, it miraculously pinned itself back in its original style.

Haru sent her an apologetic glance as she let out another wheeze. She tried to pick at the corset's laces when her mother looked away but to no avail.

Yeonha had been guided to one of the suites of the hotel where the party was being held. The room was absurdly grand. Everything was in shades of gold and brown with marble. She offhandedly thought how she could live in the bathroom in luxury because who puts a sofa around half the hot tub? Her siblings followed her awkwardly as their parents made small talk with the few guests who had arrived early. Namju was nowhere to be seen.

"It won't fucking loosen even by a little bit." Yeonha hissed, struggling to breathe. Haru placed his palms over Jiho's ears, saying that she shouldn't be listening to such coarse language. Yeonha scowled at the two, and reminded the youngest not to repeat the words she used.

The girl had taken nerve-calming pills, along with medicine for her light fever. The way Madeline had fussed over her for being sick right before the party had pissed off Stage Haru even more. The boy felt guilty about it throughout the Shadow and didn't leave Yeonha's side.

She sniffled a little, turning away from the vanity mirror, "It's not your fault, Haru. Stop making that face."

He fidgeted with the ends of his tux. "I know but...I hope you know that I don't mean any of it, noona."

"Of course I do." She readjusted the lower half of her dress so that it covered her legs. "Why don't you two head downstairs? You can look for Danoh," Yeonha gave her brother a teasing look to which he blushed, "Maybe that'll get your mind off the Stage. Jiho, why don't you find your friends?"

The little girl looked like she wanted to argue. Instead, she gripped the side of her peach coloured frock and nodded.

Haru shuffled closer to Yeonha, dragging an ottoman with him. He sat down, patting the arm rest for Jiho to perch herself on. He leaned forward and whispered, abashed, "I think Eun Danoh is my girlfriend."

"You...think?"

Jiho looked like she had a lot to say but she settled with 'good luck with telling that to your best bud'.

Sagak.

Before she could hear an explanation from her brother, Yeonha found herself alone in the suite. She was staring at herself in the mirror, nervousness and guilt bubbling in the pits of her stomach. The girl nearly jumped out of her skin when she accidentally caught sight of Namju's reflection, leaning casually against the large, wooden room divider.