chapter 27

Yeonha's mind was still reeling from the bold move she had made last night

Yeonha's mind was still reeling from the bold move she had made last night. She wanted to slam her head against her desk out of embarrassment. Yes, something great came out of it but God, what if things had gone horribly sideways? What if Kyung had scorned her and had turned her away? She patted her cheeks as they began to heat up. A silly grin broke out on her face. She rested her face on her palm and sighed loudly.

"Is there something bothering you, Yeonha?" The teacher paused his writing on the blackboard as the rest of the class stared at her.

Her face turned a deep scarlet as she shook her head and apologized. Once the teacher's back was turned, Jung leaned towards her and whispered. "That's a lot of sighing you're doing today." She waved him off.

The moment the class ended, Dohwa tapped her on the shoulder and made her turn around. "What's with you today?" He asked, attracting Bom's attention as well, "Are you worried about the engagement?"

From the front of the classroom, Taek stood up, "Did somebody say wedding?"

"No!" Bom, Jung and Yeonha all yelled at once, making him raise his hands in surrender.

"Okay, sheesh." He rolled his eyes, approaching the group, "But if there's a wedding, please do invite me. I really miss the taste of rum."

Dohwa looked at the boy suspiciously as he plopped himself on Jung's desk, winking at him. "Miss the taste of what now?" It dawned on the rest of them that he still didn't know that the entire class was aware.

"I'm a raging alcoholic and I got out of rehab a few days before the new term started. I live with my grandfather who doesn't own a drop of spirit. And I am simply gasping for — "

Yeonha swatted Taek's knee, "That's enough. I'm not worried about the engagement, Dohwa. I'm just...in a good mood."

Bom leaned closer with a wide smile, "Do tell."

Ignoring the heat rising in her cheeks, Yeonha cleared her throat and stood up, "It's nothing, really. I had a good night's sleep. I should go see Jinmichae. Haven't seen him in a while." She rolled her eyes at the protesting noise that Bom made before waving them goodbye.

Yeonha hadn't talked to Juda in some time either. She made a mental note to drop by her class on her way back. It took her two attempts to actually reach the cafeteria. When she did, Yeonha saw Kyung walk out the door, looking visibly upset. He was clutching the manhwa tightly as if loosening his hold would make it disappear.

"What's wrong?"

Upon seeing Yeonha, his shoulders sagged. He stopped inches away from her. Yeonha instinctually laced her fingers with his. The boy pulled her closer and Yeonha wondered if Jinmichae were to walk out any second, would he first scream at her or collapse from shock.

"Just...thought of seeing who this Jinmichae was."

The man must have turned him away, Yeonha realized. He still had a strong dislike towards Kyung and she didn't really blame him for keeping his guard up.