chapter 25

Jinmichae was mumbling ominously to himself when Yeonha ran into him

Jinmichae was mumbling ominously to himself when Yeonha ran into him. She crept up behind him, following his sneaky gaze to find him looking at one blissfully unaware Haru. The teenager was sitting in the shade by the creepers, staring up curiously at the red flowers. Yeonha noted offhandedly that the flowers were similar to the ones she had seen on the keychain Danoh had bought for Kyung.

The blond chef approached Haru with a forced smile and initiated a conversation. As Yeonha neared them, the man bent forward and pulled Haru's cheek. The latter, startled by the sudden familiarity, slapped Jinmichae's hand away.

"What are you doing?"

The chef smirked to himself, "Ah, you really are Haru, aren't you?" He scrutinized the boy, glaring into his eyes, "Your personality seems different...but then again, it must be the one you were actually supposed to have." In a swift motion, Jinmichae grabbed Haru's hand, "Oh? Your wound isn't there either."

Haru all but tore his arm away from the man, clearly uncomfortable, "Are you insane?"

"Jinmichae," Yeonha decided to step in, standing a few feet away from the boys, "What are you doing?"

From the slight tension on his face, Yeonha realized that he was as stressed as she was. Maybe even moreso.

He threw a chuckle over his shoulder, "Don't misunderstand, Yeonha-ya. This is my first time experiencing such a thing." Jinmi turned back to Haru, whose gaze flickered between his sister and the strange man before him, "So I don't really know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Well," He slapped the boy's shoulder good naturedly, "I do hope you enjoy your role in place of those who didn't get to live beyond a few pages."

Yeonha's temper flared dangerously at the obvious reference to her other brother. How dare he - She grit her teeth, "Haru, let's go. I don't want you to hear him talk anymore."

Her brother stood up, bumping his shoulder against the blond's as he walked past him. "Noona," He threw a pointed look at the man, "Do you know this jerk?"

"Oh, of course!" Jinmichae piped in cheerfully, "We go way back, your sister and I. Closer than friends we were―"

"Kyung's looking for you." The girl turned her attention to Haru, "Go on."

With one last scathing look at the chef, Haru left. Jinmichae's jolly expression melted off with his departure.

"You've been crying." He said, gesturing at Yeonha's tear stained face, "Was it not the...happy reunion you expected?" Jinmichae's voice is barbed and Yeonha cannot understand if it is hurt or frustration that she feels.

"Stop it." She hissed, "I get that you're anxious about this change. So am I. But acting like a dick won't make anything better."

Jinmichae's eyes hardened, "Watch your tone."