chapter 59

Yeonha felt as if something important was missing.

Everything seemed off. Bom would go unnaturally quiet at times and would often trail off while speaking. Usually, the silence irked the girl. But now, talking exhausted her and she couldn't care less about anything. It wasn't like her to be so...indifferent.

Whenever she would sit next to Bom, she'd leave a bit of space as if they were expecting another person to join them. She didn't do it consciously. No, it almost felt instinctual. But it didn't make sense either. It had always been Yeonha and Bom since middle school.

And then there was the case of the white flowers. They kept appearing everywhere she went. At first, Yeonha didn't pay attention to them. It wasn't until she caught—well, not caught caught — Baek Kyung sneakily slipping them into her locker did she finally take proper notice.

Yeonha was baffled. Why would he be leaving her flowers? A tiny part of her wondered whether Dohwa was making him do it. But it was just so out of character for both of them.

What was even more strange was that she didn't mind it at all. In fact, Yeonha was secretly and weirdly thrilled all the while feeling guilty about it. She thought she was deceiving Danoh by being unable to contain her heart that beat wildly whenever she saw the flowers. So she kept it to herself.

Until they stopped coming all together and she couldn't pretend that it didn't bother her any longer.

Would it be too much, Yeonha wondered as she walked down the corridor, if I just asked him about it? I could make up some excuse or casually ask him about

He had stepped out of his classroom alone, making Yeonha wonder if Haru hadn't come to school yet. They were attached to the hip when Baek Kyung wasn't with Danoh. Speaking of which, she realized that she hadn't actually seen the boys together in a long time.

Baek Kyung was headed in her direction, hands in his pockets while not quite looking at her. Yeonha almost felt her breath hitch.

"Baek Kyung—"

Either he hadn't heard her or he was great at pretending because he didn't even spare her a glance as he brushed past her.

Yeonha turned to watch him stride down the hallway, torn between wanting to call him back and letting him be.

He must be in one of his moods, she tried to convince herself, suddenly feeling upset.

It so happened that Danoh ran after Baek Kyung to cling to his hand and he let her.

Oh, Yeonha watched him smile widely at the girl, not being moody then.

Tears prickled her eyes, followed by a sharp jab in her heart. She inhaled through her mouth, immediately making her way back to her class. It's because you're just jealous that Danoh has Baek Kyung and Juda has Namju but you have no one, Yeonha told herself.