chapter 55

The little brat stared up at him suspiciously, probably because of the flowers he was holding and because it was late in the evening

"Haru isn't here." Jiho was still eyeing the bunch of baby's breath, holding the front door open.

"I'm not here for him." Kyung replied, eyebrow twitching.

"This isn't Danoh-unnie's house either."

He pushed her aside and walked into the living room, "I know. I'm here for your sister."

She made a face, "Why? Everybody knows you don't like her. Well, you hate the idea of the human race in the first place." The little girl mumbled under her breath but he heard her anyway.

"You have no idea." He said, monotonously and started up the stairs, "Is Yeonha in her room?"

"Dunno." Jiho shrugged, "Nobody tells me anything in this house, especially those two. Elder siblings are jerks. Just ask your brother."

Kyung met her fake-innocent gaze and sneered, "Just say yes or no." He left her alone at the bottom of the staircase and made his way to Yeonha's room.

She didn't answer when he knocked. Or when he called her name. Kyung opened the door and apologetically stepped in, clutching the small bouquet behind him. Yeonha wasn't inside but it looked like someone had turned the room upside down during a search. The books on her shelf had been scattered around, some lying cover up on the table. One of the corners of the rug on the floor was folded as if someone had tripped over it. An ottoman lay tipped over on one side. The bed was a mess.

On the bedside table, Yeonha's phone lit up.

Worry and fear washed over Kyung as he looked around. It was too quiet. The door that led to her closet, adjacent to where he was standing, was left ajar. He shuffled closer.

Just as he peered in, Yeonha, unaware of his presence, strode out. She let out a shrill shriek upon spotting him and flinched. Kyung jolted in surprise as well.

"What are you doing here!?" Yeonha gasped, calming herself down, "When did you get here?"

"I knocked and called for you." He said, momentarily caught off guard by the size of the closet and the number of clothes hung on the racks, "You were so quiet I thought something happened. Your room looks like it's been broken in."

"Yeah, I...was looking for things," She scratched the side of her neck out of embarrassment, "I guess I got carried away." Kyung looked around, trying to decipher what she had been up to when she explained. "I'm hiding some stuff that might be able to bring my memories back— why do you have flowers?"

He thrust the bunch of baby's breath forward, "Peace offering."

"You didn't have to." Yeonha accepted them anyway, "I was going to apologize but you left early."