chapter 57

The scene kept replaying over and over again, making Kyung realize that Haru was trying to change the Stage again

The scene kept replaying over and over again, making Kyung realize that Haru was trying to change the Stage again. Bastard, he thought, finding himself in the elevator again, it's like he never learns. How many replays had it been now? Kyung had lost count after six.

By the time he reached Eun Danoh outside the doctor's office, he was very, very pissed. However, before he could snap at Eun Danoh, the Stage started.

The girl seemed surprised to see him. Much to his annoyance, he rushed to embrace her. With his hand cradling the back of her head, he asked, "Is it true? That you don't need the surgery anymore?"

Shyly, she tapped his arm, "Yah...people are watching—"

"Just tell me."

Eun Danoh took a step back and smiled at him, "Yes. The doctor said I don't need it. I can't tell you how relieved I am."

He clasped her palm in his, "Danoh-yah. Don't ever leave me."

To further grate his nerves, the Writer made him walk her home. I'll do whatever you want to make you happy, he said to her.

Kyung didn't want Eun Danoh to look up at him like that. He hated it. He wanted to leave, go as far away from her as he could.

Sagak.

"You need to get the surgery," He immediately told her, "Don't trust what he's doing for you."

Eun Danoh's happy expression turned to confusion, "What do you mean?"

"I wish I could feel happy for you." Kyung said, "But just because your set-up changed on the surface doesn't mean that the illness inside you is gone."

He left her with a perplexed look on her face, standing by the front gate of her house. The constant frustration and rage made him feel sick on the inside.

While walking in a daze, he almost didn't notice Jung waiting under the street light. Shoving his hands in his pockets, Kyung stared at him quizzically, "How'd you know I'd be here?"

"I have my ways." Jung shrugged, "I wasn't a spy for nothing, you know. Come on. Walk with me."

Jung seemed to have picked up that Kyung didn't want to talk, so for a long while, they marched in silence. For the first time, Kyung didn't feel awkward being alone with him. As they neared the forked road, the right one leading to Yeonha's house and the left to his, Jung stopped walking.

"The Stage changed, didn't it?" He asked, and before Kyung could reply, he continued, "There are still going to be consequences for this."

"What else could possibly go wrong?"

"You'd be surprised." He grinned humorlessly, "Your dreams, pay close attention to them. Not for anyone else but yourself. They hold more truth than you realize."