chapter 31

Yeonha couldn't figure out for the life of her as to why her friends were treating her like a porcelain doll

Yeonha couldn't figure out for the life of her as to why her friends were treating her like a porcelain doll. They had been fussing over her ever since she had stepped inside school that day. Bom had been practically glued herself to her hip. Even Jinmichae had been oddly affectionate towards her. Jung and Taek disappeared now and then, making Yeonha suspicious but she brushed it off. They didn't like each other like that...did they?

"How are you feeling?" Bom asked, her tensed eyes hiding behind the smudged lenses. Honestly, how does she see through those glasses?

"Like someone tried to crack my skull using a sledgehammer." Yeonha answered honestly, rotating her shoulder backwards, "My whole body aches, which is weird considering I felt fine in the morning. I didn't have early practise either since I have a match in the evening." She looked up at the ceiling of the classroom, massaging her chin, "This is...really weird."

The chubby girl let out a nervous chuckle, "Ha, yeah. Weird."

Yeonha squinted at her dubiously. She jumped a little when Dohwa came charging into the class, yelling her name.

"You're okay!" He cried, kneeling on the side of her chair. Clasping her hands in his, Dohwa pouted, "I was so, so worried when I saw you—ouch." He tumbled sideways as Bom didn't try to hide the fact that she had shoved him. "What was that for?"

"Don't hold her hands." Bom said seriously, "She's spoken for."

Helping the boy up, Yeonha shot her friend a look, "What's with you guys today? What the hell is going on?"

"Nothing."

Crossing her arms, she scowled, "Bom, I'm not dimwitted. I know you guys are hiding something. Tell me the truth."

"If she won't, then I will." Dohwa started, horrified by the fact that they were keeping what he saw a secret. Before an annoyed Bom could get a word out, he said, "Yeonha, I saw you in the infirmary, completely knocked out and there was —"

Sagak.

The room looked ridiculous, truth be told. Real Yeonha almost choked on her spit, wondering if this was all because of her approving Namju's absurd plan. Streamers, balloons, banners, rose petals and scented candles. She stood by the door, taking in the flashiness of the room.

"Impressive, isn't it?" Stage Dohwa said wistfully from her side, looking at her, "Namju has put in so much effort for Juda. I almost feel jealous." He turned to read the words on the large banner on the wall and sighed.

Stage Yeonha was quiet for a moment, contemplating on what to say. Finally, she wrapped her arms around her midriff and whispered, "I'm sorry."

Surprised, the boy faced her fully, "Why are you sorry? You've done nothing to upset me, Yeonha-ya." He forced a smile.

"Stop it." Just like him, Yeonha seemed to be taken aback by what she had uttered, "Stop doing that, Dohwa." His expression turned to a confused one as she continued, "Stop pretending that you're happy when you're not. I can always see through you. So...you can stop pretending in front of me." Ew, barf.