chapter 56

This isn't happening

This isn't happening. There is no way this is happening. I won'tI can't

Stage Kyung draped his blazer over a sick looking Danoh's shoulders as she sat down on a bench. He could hardly pay any attention to the words that came out of his mouth.

"It's not you I hate. It's your sickness. I hate my father who sees you as a way to make money. And I hate myself for being his son. I heard from Lee Dohwa that you're going to have your surgery soon—"

"I don't want to." Stage Danoh said firmly, "I don't want to have surgery. I'm happy to be with you in school. I'm happy that you said that you liked me. I don't want to stay in the hospital, away from you, waiting every day after the surgery."

"I'll stay with you." His mouth moved but his mind was miles away, "Every day, if you want."

She looked up at him and smiled.

Sagak.

Kyung inhaled sharply, stumbling back. Sputtering while wiping her mouth, Eun Danoh complained about how the Writer made her look sicker by the day. She did a double take and hesitantly asked Kyung.

"Yah, earlier...Dohwa came running into class, right? And you followed him when he said something about Yeonha." She bit the inside of her cheek, "Is she...okay?"

He couldn't breathe. The only way to stop his heart from tearing itself apart was by carving it out and, God, he couldn't fucking breathe. With shaking hands, he reached for his blazer, patting its pocket in a daze.

Eun Danoh was saying something again but this time, he could only focus on the way his fingers closed around the ring in his pockets. It felt like the platinum was melting into the skin of his palm.

Then the ground beneath his feet began to sway as he gasped for air, gripping the fabric over his heart.

Panicking, because she had never seen him like this, Eun Danoh looked around as she wondered what to do. "Hey, why don't—why don't you sit down for a bit?" She raised her arms a bit, in case he collapsed, "You don't look too—no, wait!" She hurried after him as he dragged his feet towards the school, "Baek Kyung, I don't think you should be walking around like this. I'll...uh, I'll call Yeonha. Why don't you—"

She unknowingly reached for his arm only for him to glare at her fiercely. Or at least he tried to. In Eun Danoh's eyes, he had never looked this pitiful before.

"Stay away." He was struggling to speak, "Don't—I can't even look at you—because of you—"

As she gaped at him, not understanding what she had done to offend him to this level, Kyung took long strides and made straight for the school entrance.

And she was standing right there.

His Yeonha.

Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, she frowned over her shoulder as she descended the stairs. Kyung felt the blood in his veins freeze.