KALA BEAR WARS : Episode 28

Winnie versus GUteater:

The Buddha's life, and Devadatta's downfall, are well known and well documented in the various histories of the time.

What is not so well known, and undocumented 'til now, is what was going on behind the scenes with Winnie and GUteater.

Winnie was ordained early in the Buddha's career. He was a simple monk bear, committed and sincere, but otherwise unremarkable. He kept his vows pure, was diligent with his practice, and always had time to listen to the troubled. He was well liked by sangha and lay folk alike.

His best friend was Ananda, another cousin of the Buddha. Ananda was also the Buddha's attendant, and so Winnie, by visiting his friend Ananda, got to spend a good deal of time around the Buddha.

Winnie was in awe of the holy beings around him, and so he tried to model himself on their example. In this way, he'd also been watching Devadatta with growing concern. Winnie noticed this other young man, not a monk, hanging around Devadatta, taking him aside and whispering stuff in his ear. Winnie didn't like this young man, didn't trust him.

He watched him moving around among Devadatta's followers, taking them aside and whispering. He was always the first one, in public gatherings, to loudly ask Devadatta questions about the dharma, thus giving Devadatta the opportunity to address the gatherings as a teacher. He would always make a big deal of thanking Devadatta, bowing, saying how wise he was.

And on alms round (when local folk would offer the sangha a daily meal) this young man would be there where the most folk gathered. He'd position himself in front, with a fine array of delicate gourmet dishes. He'd make a big deal of offering these dishes to Devadatta while pretty much ignoring the other monks.

He'd rebuke young monks if they didn't acknowledge Devadatta with proper respect, and when they were walking along a road this young man would wave people aside, clearing the way for Devadatta. He'd say, "Don't you know who this is?" and "Make way for the Prince of Dharma."

Winnie could see how all this was affecting Devadatta, and he grew worried. He went to his friend, Ananda, to tell him what he'd seen. But Ananda kindly, and correctly, spoke to him about 'right speech' and the dangers of gossip. He said that such matters were the responsibility of the Buddha. He pointed out that until we are enlightened we all have our faults, and it was not right to be discussing a brother monk's faults behind his back. The Buddha had spoken numerous times about the danger of creating schisms in the community. Ananda went on to suggest that Winnie recall the qualities of the Buddha, including his omniscience.

"Have no fear, young bear," he said. "If there is something to know, then the Buddha will know it."

But Winnie couldn't let it go.

One day he followed the young man, keeping himself hidden. He saw the young man meet with a gang of local villains. They sat in a huddle and Winnie couldn't hear what they discussed. Suddenly one of the gang leapt to his feet, exclaiming "No. I won't do it. I won't."

The young man jumped up, pulled out a knife, and stabbed the protesting villain. With a howl of pain, the gangster clutched his belly and collapsed. The young man was on him. He straddled the wounded man, grabbed a rock and pounded his head until he was dead.

Winnie couldn't help it. He squealed, revealing his hiding place. The young man looked straight at him. There was nothing Winnie could do but turn and run as fast as his stumpy little legs would carry him.

The young man called out "Run, little bear. Run." He laughed, and the gang laughed with him.

Winnie ran all the way back to the Buddha's temporary camp. He went to his nest in the forest nearby and collapsed, shaking and crying.