Defense Mechanisms

~You're locked inside my heart and your melody is an art~Sia

Chapter Theme Song: 'Eye of the Needle' by Sia

°°

Rainey

"I don't think you heard the question I just asked."

The guy who was once seated in the passenger seat is now standing in front of us. Hands tucked inside his trousers' pockets while his chin is raised cockily.

"Where the fuck is your brother?"

Ansel doesn't seem intimidated. He's glaring back at the guy with a deadpan expression.

"And how would I know?" He finally speaks, his tone low but somehow dominant as he stares the guy straight in the eyes.

"Just pass on the message Ken, we don't have all night." The driver orders, now leaning against the Subaru and taking a hit of his joint.

The smoke rudely invades my nostrils and I fan it away, grimacing at the utter disrespect. He smiles arrogantly, staring me up and down with a disgustingly flirtatious look.

"Well tell him this..." Ken takes a step closer toward Ansel, his eyebrows lowered. "My boss knows everything now. So, it's either he gives us the money...or your whole family is in for a joy ride."

Despite the threat, Ansel's expression is unwavering. Ken's eyes then travel to mine, and he scoffs. "And your babe will be in danger as well."

I glare at him. I think he aimed to get me scared but I wasn't kidding when I told Ansel that I am not afraid of burglars and mobs.

I secretly do not have a problem with him thinking that I am Ansel's girl or whatever but babe? Really? I hate being called babe and baby more than anything.

"Make sure to deliver the message." Ken's thin lips curl into an atrocious smile before raising his foot and kicking Ansel's bike away.

Finally, Ansel's expression morphs into something else.

Anger.

Ken notices this as well and his smirk is wider now, proud that he could evoke that reaction from him. He smugly reaches into his pocket and pulls out a cigarette.

"Your girlfriend is pretty." He chuckles before turning away and attempting to light his joint. He nods to his companion. "Let's go."

The guys gesture to move to the car but a deep sigh comes from Ansel, while he uses a palm to rub his forehead in annoyance.

"First my tyres, now this. Hey, you aren't done here yet."

I glance at him, and Ken finally gets his cigar to light and turns around, gawking at Ansel with a face of amusement. "What did you just say?"

"My bike." He calmly responds. "You need to pick my bike up."

Ken stares over Ansel for a while then he cracks up in laughter. His friend joins him in his silly cackling and both of them are crouched over with red faces of humor.