Medicine

~You've been searching, have you found many things? Time for learning, why have I not learned a thing? Words with no meaning have kept me dreaming but they don't tell me anything. And all you never say is that you love me so, all I'll never know is if you want me. If only I could look into your mind maybe then I'd find a sign of all I want to hear you say to me. Are you uncertain. Or just scared to drop your guard? Have you been broken? Are you afraid to show your heart? Life can be unkind, but only sometimes, you're giving up before you start~Birdy.

Chapter Theme Song: 'All You Never Say' by Birdy.

°°

Rainey

"She looks so pale," I mutter. "I am really not used to her like this..."

Ansel exhales heavily from his stance beside me, his gaze fixed on an unconscious Riley. "She'll wake up soon, I am sure of it."

I hope he is right. If Riley does not wake up, I do not think I will ever be able to forgive myself.

Alex sighs and moves closer to her, placing the furry bear by the nightstand. I was wondering why he had taken it from the store; it turns out he wanted to give it to Riley.

"At least she won't be lonely now..." He says, dragging a hand through his strands.

I smile a little at him. He does seem to like her a lot; the frustration on his face and his constant uneasy pace being rock-hard pieces of evidence.

"Rainey!" Valarie rushes into the room and I arise from the chair anxiously, my brows knitting in worry.

"What's wrong, Aunt Val?"

She takes hold of my hand. "The cops...the cops are here."

"Did you call them?"

"No, the doctors phoned them in to ask me some questions about what happened to Riley. You should go, sweetie. I know you can't be caught here by them ...they'll think this all has something to do with you and you know that won't be good."

It does have something to do with me. I know that this is all my fault.

I nod my head. "Okay...is there a motel nearby? I really don't want to return to Crossview until she wakes up."

Valerie smiles sadly. "Yes, dear. There is one right next door to the hospital. But I think it is expensive. Do you have money? Let me check my purse..." She motions to move off, but I stop her, gently grasping her arm.

"It's okay, Aunt Val. I have a credit card, so we'll manage."

She nods her head, her eyes drifting to Alex and Ansel. They smile a little and she reciprocates the gesture.

"Here, you can give this to them...it'll be of great aid." I hand her one of the flash-drives with the video of Riley's kidnapping, along with the printed image of the perpetrators' faces. She flips the paper over, gazing at it in wonderment.

"What's this dear?"

"Those men were the ones who took Riley."

Her eyes become glossy as she tightly grips the paper in her hands. "Oh, God...How did you get this, sweetie?"

"We went to Vincent's Street and checked the CCTV from a drug store near the warehouse."