With You, I Feel Safe

~A drop in the ocean, a change in the weather, I was praying that you and me might end up together. It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert, But I'm holding you closer than most, 'Cause you are my heaven~ Ron Pope.

Chapter Theme Song: 'A Drop in the Ocean' by Ron Pope.

°°

Ansel

I jam my palms in my pockets as I approach Jeff who is closing the door of the car. The sound of my footsteps pulls his attention, but the lighting of the parking lot is relatively dim, so he narrows his eyes to catch sight of who is approaching. He finally recognizes me as I break out of the darkness, and his brows knit into a frown while he straightens his spine.

He glowers at me. "Need something?"

Since the first day I met this man, I knew something was off about him. It wasn't solely the overprotectiveness or exaggerated concern he had for Rainey; it was also the look in his eyes when he looked at her. There was a bright flare of impure lust in them, and it really was not hard to spot. Earlier at the table, he had the same glint in his eyes, and he probably thought I hadn't noticed, but he was staring at her cleavage the whole time.

That day I left Rainey's house, I called up Max, a friend of Alaric's to do some background check on Jeff. Max is famous in the streets, and he's good at researching. He would do anything for the King's family mainly because when it came to danger and violence, we are always at his aid. After his five days search, he swung by this morning, delivering to me what he found about this man, and I am not surprised that it did confirm my speculations.

Jeff scoff, thick vapor from the cold night air emits through his mouth. "Do you have something to say, kid?"

I glare at him with an unsmiling expression. "You still haven't changed since 2006."

He narrows his eyes in confusion. "What?"

"You're still the same sick, twisted person as you were many years ago. Tell me, Jeff, where is that perverted friend of yours?" I continue, tilting my head to the side.

Jeff shifts his weight apprehensively, pointing his finger at me. "You know nothing about me, you better watch your words with me, boy."

I smirk, and a muscle in his face twitches at this. "Did you just smirk at me?"

"I am not one to beat around the bush, so I will just get straight to the point." I lament. "I heard about you and your friend...what's his name? Greg?"

I watch as his face unhardens, transforming into bewilderment.

Observing his expression, my sinister smile stretches wider. "Judging by your look of horror. I am guessing I did get the name right, then?"

"I don't know what the fuck you're talking about!"

"Then let me remind you. You and your little partner in assault-Greg Taylor- sexually harassed a thirteen-year-old girl in 2006 when you both were sixteen years old. However, after charges were pressed, you both managed to get away with it free of charge and jail time because Greg's father, who was the Commissioner of Police somehow bought you both out of the case."

"I have no idea what you're talking about-" He gestures to walk away when I slither in his path, my face shifting to a stern glare.